Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

WillCot`s Photos

Default Night whinnying/howling

Hello. I am new to this site and am seeking help with my 9 week old female puppy. The main issue we are having is whinning in her crate at night and the stress it brings. We started crate training from day one and we are on day four so far. The first two nights the crate was located in the office. She never spent time in that room besides at night and training sessions. We then moved the create to the family room we're she spends most of her day. That helped a little bit with the crying. I don't believe is afraid of the crate due to the fact she eats all her meals in there. She also walks in on her own to take naps through out the day after she is done playing with out us having to put her their. Right now she will whiny for like 10mins then be quite for 10mins and alternate between the two every so often. She gets let out for potty when she is quite then put right back in. We ignore her other wise and eventually she stops. I just want make sure we are doing things right and being mean to her in anyway by ignoring the whinnying. Any help or tips would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_2287385614689770.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	10211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_897504387317251.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	10210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_1131554060349909.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	10209  

Jewel`s Photos

Alas, crate training is part tough love. But if she's not screaming continuously and clearly stress drooling and throw herself repeatedly at the crate for hours on end (all of which mine did), she should adjust pretty soon.

She is soooooo adorable. Does she have husky in her?

Puppy (New Member)

WillCot`s Photos

From what the humane society said she was a prue bread. (After reading the message I wrote even I was confused on parts of it. Wrote it with very little sleep and busy 24 hours at work.) Thank you for responding. We as new puppy owners just wanted to make sure her crying is not something to worry about as it really tugs at your heart strings. When I let her out before I got to work at 5 am she is now quiet and when I come home in the morning she is also quiet. So I believe we now just have to let her cry herself to sleep til she is over being in it. Do you have any tips on introducing her to the family cat?

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by WillCot View Post
    From what the humane society said she was a prue bread. Do you have any tips on introducing her to the family cat?
    It's pretty clear by her ears that she's got something other than pyr in her. Whatever the other breed(s) is/are, she's cute!

I will have to defer to others about cat training... Ren is an only child. It took a whole year before he was able to finally do a nose to nose with the cat that lives across the street. He so wants to make friends, but gets over-excited and the cats aren't impressed.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

That is a really cute puppy! Lucky you! I can see some husky in her too...

I was not very good at crate-training my puppy. I think I only did it for a week or maybe two weeks. The fact that she would cry at night made me so sad that I ended up putting the crate in the basement and I haven't touched in 2 years.

What I did was:

- (3-5 months old): I put the crate in my bedroom with the door open at all times. At night I would close the bedroom door so she couldn't go anywhere. She had the option of sleeping in her crate, but she rarely did. She never seemed to like the crate very much, but I wouldn't say she hated it with passion. She always had some toys in her crate, but she would always sleep by my bed. Every 3-4 hours I would take her outside to potty. I have a fenced yard.

- (6-9 months old): Same. She would sleep in my bedroom, but this time she would sleep in my bed, by me. Rarely I had to take her out to potty in the middle of the night. During the day, I would use baby gates to block the stairs and the kitchen, and she would stay in the living room while I was at work.

- These days: free range... bedroom door open, no baby gates, access to the yard through a doggie door... SHE IS LIVING THE LIFE!

Puppy (New Member)

WillCot`s Photos

We might have to get the the DNA test to see what in all she has in her.

Update on the crate training. She is now only whines for like 5 mins after you put her in at 10pm bedtime and after each potty break at midnight and 4am. She gets up at 8am for bathroom breakfast then small walk til she is bigger. We are finally getting some good sleep at night. And the big bonus is still not had a single accident in the crate!

lattelove`s Photos

It sounds like the whining problem is resolving, but I just wanted to chime in with our experience. We adopted our pup at an older age than yours (about 5 months). She had been on the streets with two of her litter mates before being rescued, and then once rescued and house-broken, she slept in the beds with her foster family, so she wasn't used to sleeping in a crate. After we brought her home, she whined and howled so much those first few nights when we put her in her crate at night that it reminded us of coming home with a new baby! We ended up moving her crate elsewhere in the house and taking turns sleeping next to her crate. One night, I slept on the sofa with the crate next to it, then our teenagers would take turns putting the crate next to their beds and letting her sleep in the crate in their bedrooms.

She did not whine as long as she had someone nearby. I can't remember how long this phase lasted, but I don't think it was longer than a week. It wasn't long before she would willingly go into her crate when she realized we were all getting ready for bed!

Your pup is beautiful! When I saw the first two pictures, I thought she looked like she had Husky in her as well, but then I saw your third picture, and her ears look more like pyr ears in that one. Are her ears upright at all, or is it just the way she is lying in those first two pictures (with the ears laying open)?

If you decide to do a DNA test, I highly recommend Widsom Panel. We had no idea what breeds were in Latte's mix until we did this test (she is half Great Pyr and half Rottweiler). We learned that the family who adopted her two litter mates used the same vet, and we ended up meeting them. It turned out that they had done a DNA test also (don't know if they used the same company or not), and their results were the same, so that gave me a good amount of confidence in the test. The older she gets, I can definitely see the physical and personality traits of both of those breeds become more prominent, so I do believe the test was accurate! Sometimes they offer coupon codes as well.

Puppy (New Member)

WillCot`s Photos

First off thank you both for the advice. She is a real handful sometimes. And I will definitely have to check out Widsom panel. Her ears are always down unless she is on her back from what I have noticed.
    How long did it take you to have your pup's potty trained?
    And what would you recommend for when me and my wife both have to be at work during the week which is about 8 hours one day a week. We have an unfinished basement which I was think we could puppy proof and have her stay down their with a dog walker coming maybe twice a day just to get her and about. ( I know this will not help with potty training). Is that a good idea or would a dog daycare be better?

lattelove`s Photos

Fortunately, Latte was 90% house trained by her foster family when we adopted her at 5 months old, so I won't be of much help with the amount of time to house train this breed. She did, however, continue to have the occasional accident for quite a while as she became used to the rules of our house (for some reason, she thought "upstairs" was an appropriate place to potty), so she stayed in her crate when no one was home. She was old enough to be crated for a few hours when everyone was gone. I do not work outside the home right now, so she was normally not crated for more than a couple of hours at a time, but she was old enough to hold it much longer than that if necessary.

I have always used crate training for potty training our puppies. At your puppy's young age, you would definitely need someone to let her out of her crate to go outside on the days you are both at work. Whenever we got a new puppy when I worked full-time outside the home, we tried to do so at the beginning of the summer. My sister was a teacher and had a flexible schedule during the summer, so she would go to our house and let the puppy out a couple of times per day. Once the puppy was old enough to hold it for half the day, I would go home during lunch to let him out once a day until he could be left in the crate for a whole work day.

Is there a trusted high school or college student nearby who is out of school for the summer? Perhaps they could earn a little extra money by taking your puppy out a couple of times during the day while no one is home. My teenaged daughter has actually been taking care of neighbors' pets for the past couple of summers while they are away on vacation. If that is not possible, then I think your idea of hiring a dog walker or pet sitter would be good also. I have never used a doggy day care for this purpose, but I know we have a few boarding kennels around here that offer doggy "day camp," and if you only need it once per week the cost might be reasonable. You would, of course, have to check on the minimum age for a puppy to attend the day camp since they would be playing with other dogs.

Good luck navigating through this puppy stage, and post more pics when you can!