Current Great Pyrenees Owner

cooltouch`s Photos

Default Charlie's One Year Old

His birthday is either May 31st or June 1st, dunno which. But I just realized that I haven't gotten any recent pics of him, so I let him out in the back yard and a photo session commenced. Here are a few of my favorites.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlie_one_year_5a.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	10204

Name:	charlie_one_year_6a.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	10205

Name:	charlie_one_year_7a.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	10206

Name:	charlie_one_year_8a.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	10207

Charlie's doing great. He has this wonderfully luxuriant, long, white fur that is amazingly resistant to dirt. When it dries, it just falls free of him, so he's always looking nice. We took him to a pet shampoo place a couple months ago, just for a shampoo and to have his nails trimmed. Well, they also trimmed back his fur quite a bit, which I don't approve of, and they sharpened his nails, turning them into miniature scimitars. The day he got back from that place, he laid me open from elbow to wrist with one quick flick. The last of the scabs finally fell away yesterday. Geez, some people. Well, needless to say, that place isn't getting any more of our business.

Charlie is big and strong, but not overly big. He does not have a large appetite, but I think it's sufficient for his size and weight. He's solid muscle and bone, though, so his density must be approaching that of a neutron star. I'm guessing he weighs right around 100 lb right now. He was gaining about 10 lb a month until he reached nine months or so, then his weight gain began to taper off. I don't think Charlie is going to be one of those giant Pyrs, probably just a regular old normal sized one. I suspect he'll eventually top out at around 120. He has a lot of loose skin around his shoulders and neck and rear haunch area, so there's plenty of room to grow yet.

We're due to take him to the vet for his annual check-up, but our vet up and retired on us last month, referring us to another vet that isn't nearly as conveniently located. So I guess I'm gonna need to do some research on finding a replacement vet.

Charlie has begun to exhibit one trait common to GPs -- he likes to bark a lot when he's out in the back yard. Not as bad as his father was, which I'm thankful for, but still his barking can get to be a bit much. He rarely barks when he's in the house, though.

He's a pretty laid back dog, for the most part. But he gets in these moods where he demands attention, and he's so strong, he won't be put off. I might be in the middle of something, but that's just too bad. So I'll take a break from whatever, and give him some attention. Usually after five or ten minutes, he's had enough and he saunters off. But that's with me. With my wife, he will pester her and just won't leave her alone. He'll even try to herd her around, which I think is hilarious, but she doesn't see the humor in it. And I suppose I can see why. She still has some advantage over him, weight-wise, but strength-wise, maybe not. With me, well let's just say that I weight a lot more than he does, and he's no match for me in terms of strength. He still will jump up on us some. I just push him down, but when he jumps up on her, he almost knocks her down. It's when he's doing this that his hard-headed stubbornness comes out. No matter how severely we scold him, he just shrugs it off. The wife will take a fly swatter to him to let him know of her displeasure. That seems to work some. He really doesn't care to get swatted with the fly swatter. Again, I find it funny -- that big dog cringing when she's threatening him with a flimsy little fly swatter. I think the whole jumping thing is a desire to be eye-to-eye with us. One thing he likes to do is rest his paws on the kitchen sink and stretch out. He'll look around at us like he's saying, "Yeah, I'm big too!"

We also have three cats. They have become more tolerant of him and are less likely to take off and hide under the furniture when he comes around than they used to. And as a result of this, he chases them less. He only likes to chase them when they run from him.

The summer weather has definitely arrived down here in Houston. It's been getting up into the low to mid 90s F the past several days, so I've been limiting the amount of time we let him stay outdoors during the day. When the weather was cooler, he loved being outside. Now, he's ready to come in after just a brief visit to do his business out there. But once the sun goes down and it's begun to cool off, his behavior changes, and then he's happy to stay outside for extended periods. Trading barks with the rest of the dogs in the neighborhood . . . all night long, if we'd let him.
    Best,
    Michael

Jewel`s Photos

Happy Birthday Charile!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Happy Birthday Charlie!!!
    you are turning into quite the handsome guy!!!
    keep those antics up....keeps your humans on their toes!!