Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Everyone thinks Great Pyrenees

I have adopted a puppy (picture attached) that was dumped on a country road with 2 siblings. He definately looks like he has Labrador in him, but, he is quite large. And his hair is more fluffy than a regular labrador. Most people keep asking me if he is mixed with Great Pyrenees. I have no idea. The pictures look similar to some that I have been finding. When I took him to the vet, they estimated him at 12 weeks, and 18.3 pounds. That was 5 weeks ago. He is now over 30 pounds. He is very laid back for a puppy. Loves people and attention (which sounds different that what I am reading about Pyrenees, I am reading they are very independent) He is very smart. So Sweet. And I don't think I can stress how "laid back" he is. I read that the breed is protective. He likes every stranger that thinks he is cute. However, he will run when we are on night walks when he hears a strange noise, or sees a dark figure. Not super protective, as he is trying to get to safety himself. I live in an apartment, and am luckily moving to a home with a fenced back yard as I read that both the Great Perenees and the Labrador both need run time, and a yard. He drinks a lot. I have had a 97 pound Boxer that didn't drink as much as this guy. I have attached a picture of him at about 13 weeks, sitting next to a full grown Husky. Thoughts? Pyrenees? Can I just stress that he is the cutest little big guy ever! :-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7427.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	10196

Name:	IMG_7365.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	10197

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Camiecm....and your pups name is??

unless you do a DNA test you'll keep on guessing his heritage....could be Anatolian Shepherd...could be Pyr....
    at 13-14 weeks old and with the stress of being dumped I would expect him to be a bit frightened at some things...also I would expect him to act like a puppy "every loves me, I'm a puppy"!!!

my first male Pyr was as laid back as they came....my current...not so much!

so...they are all different Pyrsonalities...and since he's a mix...you might get the best of both/all of them!

keep us informed on how you two experience your life together!

Nancy & Rudy

cooltouch`s Photos

He might be a GP mix. Hair's definitely too short, but his general "looks" and colorations look a lot like a GP.

MY 1yo GP, whom we've had since he was 8 weeks, is independent, definitely, but he's also very laid back and very affectionate. So one trait doesn't necessarily preclude the other.

Enjoy him while he's young cuz his small size sure don't last for long.
    Best,
    Michael

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Camiecm View Post
    Most people keep asking me if he is mixed with Great Pyrenees.

Name:	IMG_7427.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	10196
    That tail plus the color are very strong indications he is part pyr. Not many breeds have tails that curl over the back. The other possibilities are samoyeds and akitas both of which could contribute to a white coat. However, with those nicely flat floppy ears, it is much less likely he's mixed with either of those breeds. The puppy's head shape and coat length does suggest lab.

With a mix, there is no telling which breed traits the dog would exhibit. Our 1/2 pyr mix (the one on the right of my avatar pic), Bro, exhibited a lot of his retriever/aussie side of his bloodline in that he was easy to train and very obedient. But he exhibited his pyr side with his aloofness toward strangers. Bro was very friendly as a little puppy. He started to be less tolerant of attention from strangers after he turned 6 months old. That is not an unusual trait with some pyrs. On the other hand, lots of pyrs are just calm and laid back as can be and many people assume they are all "gentle giants."

However your pup may turn out, I think you have a great plan in place to raise him to be a great companion. He is most definitely and totally adorable.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you all so much for your feedback! It is true, I could guess all day, and never know for sure. His hair on his back it starting to turn more "lab" than before. When I first got him, he was a fluffy, soft white. His name is Kiefer (like Kiefer Sutherland). I am just really in love with this puppy. He really is the best puppy I have ever had, and I used to breed boxers. But, this clumsy little smiley guy just took my heart. Thank you all again for your feedback! Have a great week!

Puppy (New Member)

Good morning! I just wanted to update...We weighed him yesterday, and he is now 36 pounds. Per the vets guess on age, he would be about 18 weeks now. Is this right? I don't think he is overweight, but, maybe I'm feeding him too much? Man he can eat. This is him and my son, and another picture of him relaxing :-)

Name:	Kiefer.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	10218

Name:	Kiefer2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	10219