Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New Adoption and Isolation

We adopted a 6 year old Great Pyrenees Mix (Not sure what mixed with) about 2 months ago. She has recently become more reclusive and will spend most of her time upstairs alone other than to eat or go out and walk. Is this a normal behavior for a new adoptee? Should I let her be alone or make her come downstairs with the family? Thank you!

Jewel`s Photos

Thank you for giving this girl a home!

It isn't unusual for rehomed pyrs to take many months to acclimate to the new family. These guys do not blindly trust humans in general. My gut says to give her time and let her go about it at her pace. She's in her forever home now, I don't think there is real urgency to force faster acclimation. Nevertheless, is there a way from keeping her from going upstairs? If it is possible to put up a gate to keep her from going upstairs while the family is downstairs, I would not push her to interact with the family until she initiates it herself. It is enough for now to have her in the approximate vacinity as the family but let her be and let her just get used to you all going about your family actives as usual. You can occasionally take to her a high value treat without making a big deal out of it so that she associates good things with the family.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Thank you for giving this girl a home!

It isn't unusual for rehomed pyrs to take many months to acclimate to the new family. These guys do not blindly trust humans in general. My gut says to give her time and let her go about it at her pace. She's in her forever home now, I don't think there is real urgency to force faster acclimation. Nevertheless, is there a way from keeping her from going upstairs? If it is possible to put up a gate to keep her from going upstairs while the family is downstairs, I would not push her to interact with the family until she initiates it herself. It is enough for now to have her in the approximate vacinity as the family but let her be and let her just get used to you all going about your family actives as usual. You can occasionally take to her a high value treat without making a big deal out of it so that she associates good things with the family.
    Thank you for your reply! That was my gut feeling as well. She is definitely hard headed so we do want to give her space and let her feet at home. Sometimes we will coax her into the living room and give her lots of petting and love and then let her do whatever she wants after. Thank you!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfisher76 View Post
    She is definitely hard headed
    Your girl is a mature adult and has had a life history before coming to you. She needs you to show her that you are worthy of earning her respect. I know it sounds ridiculous that a human has to earn a dog's respect. But it is really the way it works with a pyr. By thousands of years of breeding they are specifically bred not to be human oriented. That makes them truly different than biddable human oriented breeds like the goldens.

When we got our first pyr she was 10 months old. She was very sweet and seemingly adapted well to her new home. But it took a year before she truly accepted us as her family. In that first year she treated us sweetly and nicely but in the same way she would interact with other strangers. It was only after a year that I felt she truly bonded with us. Before she came to us, she lived with my friends on their ranch for 6 months. Our friend had found her wandering down a country road alone at 4 months old. They had to find her a home with fence because she kept roaming further and further from their ranch. It's been almost 20 years since and we are now on our 4th pyr....

I totally agree with what Jewel said. We have a pyr mix (mixed with two other lgd breeds) and we are almost at our year mark and just recently am i seeing his adjustment.
    He hid in his crate for a long time. He was fearful of everything. He attacked our other dog nonstop. It was really difficult.
    Just this week he got loose and every other time he would run from us. This time he ran to me. That to me was huge. And he rarely attacks our other dog now. He's controlling himself. We see his old urge a lot but he's controlling himself and listening to us. Before he didn't trust us enough to listen. I think it's because he's finally feeling safe here and trusts us now.
    I've never had a dog take this long to adjust.
    He's still a fearful dog. Hates thunderstorms and just walking him makes him more nervous if it's a new area. When he's nervous he drools big time. He drooled so much when we first got him. Now he rarely ever drools. Just when he's worked up or nervous over something.
    Patience does pay off with these dogs. I wouldn't change anything with ours except maybe hoping he sheds a little less haha. My teenager is always screaming everything is covered in Pyr hair.

Enjoy your new dog!

Puppy (New Member)

You guys are all great, thank you!!!