Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Question Rescued Great Pyrenees

We have rescued a wonderful dog. He is so loving and appreciative after getting him to the vet for check up we are thinking he is 4 to 6 years old. He gets along great with our Jack Russell mix but when we take him for walks he is very excited when greeting other dogs with loud barking and a urge to go to the other dog. Are these dogs very aggressive as a general rule? we want to introduce him to other animals but not sure how to make sure all are safe. Any suggestions?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Meredyth & thank you for giving this boy a second chance for a secure & loving home!...and his name is?

do you know any of his background? was he with other animals? does it seem like he just wants to play or does it seem more aggressive?...so hard to give you a direction without seeing his body language...

quite honestly...I would work on him being comfortable with you & your home, not be concerned with other animals at this point....how long has he been with you?

Pyr's normally are not very social with other pets that are not within their "flock"...at least that has been my experience with the 4 I have had ( 2 males & 2 females...at different times).....

if you don't know anything about livestock guarding dogs...you might want to read up on the breed, it might help you understand your guy a little bit....

I recommend this book....
    Livestock Protection Dogs: Selection, Care, and Training 2nd Edition
    by Orysia Dawydiak (Author), David E. Sims (Author)

let us know how life progresses for all of you!
    Nancy & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

Nancy & Rudy thanks for the reply. Our baby is Boon sadly the only thing we know for sure is his original home he was used for target practice with BB guns. Our grandson took him out of that situation not knowing how they could care for Boon they live in a small apartment with a new baby so that is how we wound up with him. We have had him just over a week and have his shots up to date and have him groomed, he loves to be brushed and loved on. We had him on a walk the other day and stopped and talked with a lady while we were doing that a runner ran between my wife and the car on the street he barked loudly and put himself between my wife and the runner it happened so quick i do not know if he tried to bite the runner or just a brushing it happened so quick. I do understand about their "flock" he has taken right to us and our Jack Russell mix they play and an amazing thing is Boon will let Poncho eat out of his bowl and lay quietly to the side until he gets finished then he will eat his bowl and Pancho's. I am familiar with livestock and the dogs that work cattle and sheep. I have had some exposure to Great Pyr. but more in conservation with people that had them.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

putting himself between you wife & a perceived "threat" is a very normal Pyr reaction.....and normally a Pyr will only use enough "force" to warn the intruder...which would escalate if the intruder did not heed the first warning...

while you are out walking & he's being calm, I would treat him & let him know that the behavior is one that gets rewarded...I know things happen quickly, but the more alert you are to potential incidents, the more you can help & redirect his behavior...

might be worth asking your vet if there is a behaviorist near you....have them walk with you, get an idea of what Boon's body language is saying & help you & him become a "team"