Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Trying to introduce new pup

We have a 9 yr old male anatolian. We tried to get another pup, a German shep but the pup had major issues. Our anatolian kept upping his aggression with that pup. Our trainer actually took ownership of that pup.

Fast forward 2-3 yrs. We found s great 8 wk feamle 1/2 pyrenees and 1/2 anatolian pup. So we are trying again. Its a little better but our problem is when she tries to come into the room he growls at her. He wont let her near us. When we try to step between he and the pup it seems to make it worse. Its only been 3 days but it seems its getting worse. The pup does fully submit to him. She respects his boundaries but I dont like this him not letting her come to us.
    Any help woukd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jewel`s Photos

How does your boy get along with other dogs in general? That would be where I would start first. If he's not good with other dogs, you might want to reconsider whether it would be in all of your best interest to bring in another dog. If he's generally good with other dogs, there is a chance he could learn to get along with the puppy with very careful supervision.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    How does your boy get along with other dogs in general? That would be where I would start first. If he's not good with other dogs, you might want to reconsider whether it would be in all of your best interest to bring in another dog. If he's generally good with other dogs, there is a chance he could learn to get along with the puppy with very careful supervision.
    For the most part he gets along with other dogs fairly well. He grew up with a german shep female. They fought on occassion. He can be food aggressive and if hes challenged by large dogs he may respond aggressively. Otherwise he has rock solid temperment. Hes a favorite everwhere he goes, even at the bvets. Never had any issues there.

The pups been with us 3 days now. We feed them about 6 feet apart and her in a large crate so he gets used to her feeding near by. We never just leave food out

We put a 6' play pen in the living room so she can stay in there with us but still separated for the most part. This way he gets used to her presence, otherwise he wouldnt let her in there. He still stands between us and the pen.
    It may just take time. I was hoping anyone else had any ideas.

We reslly want this to work bc the pup is going to be a great pup. She responds well to boundries. is crate trained after 2 days and her temperament seems very well balanced.

Anyone have an idea how long it takes a lgd to beckme accustomed to a new addition?

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenanew View Post
    He can be food aggressive ... The pups been with us 3 days now. We feed them about 6 feet apart and her in a large crate so he gets used to her feeding near by. We never just leave food out
    If he's known to be food aggressive, it if were me, I'd separate them completely at mealtimes. I would feed in different rooms so he wouldn't have visual of her when he's eating. Food aggression is not a rational thing and it's not often fixed by just desensitization. The way I look at it, he has an issue with food, why risk elevating his defensive mode when you are trying have him do the opposite and want him to like his new sibling. To set him up for success, it's better to have him associate all good things in life when she's around than put him a situation that can potentially provoke his insecurities.

Your description suggests your boy has resource guarding issues. He can be a food guarder and it sounds like he's guarding you from the new puppy (sounds like he did the same with the GSD pup). I will be honest, if he's being so possessive as to not let her into the room, that is not good news. At 8 weeks, she has absolutely no way of defending herself and thus can't be a threat to him and still he sounds like he's being defensive. I had an experience trying to make two dogs co-exist peacefully. Our facts were different, but in our case it didn't work out and I had to give up the newcomer. I think what you are doing is the right approach to make the introduction gradual; there is no magic bullet in these situations. But I would encourage you guys to stay as honest as possible. If he's not improving in a couple of weeks or so, you may need to reevaluate the situation.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    If he's known to be food aggressive, it if were me, I'd separate them completely at mealtimes. I would feed in different rooms so he wouldn't have visual of her when he's eating. Food aggression is not a rational thing and it's not often fixed by just desensitization. The way I look at it, he has an issue with food, why risk elevating his defensive mode when you are trying have him do the opposite and want him to like his new sibling. To set him up for success, it's better to have him associate all good things in life when she's around than put him a situation that can potentially provoke his insecurities.

Your description suggests your boy has resource guarding issues. He can be a food guarder and it sounds like he's guarding you from the new puppy (sounds like he did the same with the GSD pup). I will be honest, if he's being so possessive as to not let her into the room, that is not good news. At 8 weeks, she has absolutely no way of defending herself and thus can't be a threat to him and still he sounds like he's being defensive. I had an experience trying to make two dogs co-exist peacefully. Our facts were different, but in our case it didn't work out and I had to give up the newcomer. I think what you are doing is the right approach to make the introduction gradual; there is no magic bullet in these situations. But I would encourage you guys to stay as honest as possible. If he's not improving in a couple of weeks or so, you may need to reevaluate the situation.
    Thanks for your thoughts. Its wierd bc he is with her and us outside. He isnt hurting her and hasnt bitten her. But yes, we are going to give it 3 weeks and see if there is improvement.

When we decided to foster Murphy, we bought a 2nd kennel, and never let the two of them out together for probably 2 or 3 weeks, one would be in his kennel, and the other out with us. After that would let them out together with strict supervision and now they'r best friends. They are still kept separate during feeding times, and have a few growls/snaps every now and then when not sharing toys propertly. Both are 2.5 year old males.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by kcphilaflyer View Post
    When we decided to foster Murphy, we bought a 2nd kennel, and never let the two of them out together for probably 2 or 3 weeks, one would be in his kennel, and the other out with us. After that would let them out together with strict supervision and now they'r best friends. They are still kept separate during feeding times, and have a few growls/snaps every now and then when not sharing toys propertly. Both are 2.5 year old males.
    I think thats the idea. Keeping them somewhat seperate until he gets used to her. My wife was home them today and said it was better. Trying to adjust as we go. Ill let yall know here, how it goes