Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Trouble on leash when encountering other dogs

My dog loses her mind when she passes another dog on leash. Today her back paws scratched up my feet while I tried to hold onto her as another dog passed. I have been turning down streets to avoid others with dogs lately because it is getting so difficult. Some people even set her off. Some offer to greet her and some with a dog are willing to let the dogs off leash to meet each other. It takes a real dog person to get past her behavior and want to approach her. That goes OK, but she continues to be pretty wary after sheís back on leash even as we walk away, so the meeting doesnít resolve her anxiety. She jumps at the fence as people and dogs walk by too. Any tips? From what Iíve read, this is in the great pyr breed and I shouldnít have gotten one if I donít own a farm. Sheís a mix, likely with lab, and sheís gorgeous and loves to cuddle. She is awesome with our kids but nipped at a friendís kid (likely because there was food nearby), so I donít let other peopleís kids approach her or hang out with her anymore. This is not the family dog situation I desired, so Iím hoping there is something I can do to avoid having to either live with these constant frustrations or find a new home for her and upset my family.

Iím willing to put in the work, but have to be responsible and aware of her potential to cause injury, despite how chill and cuddly she is with us and those she knows well. Today, I started bringing treats with me like when she was a puppy, but, aside from reminding her to sit when I feel like stopping and rewarding her for following that direction, how to I train her not to react to other dogs?

Puppy (New Member)

She also jumps at large trucks and plows out of the blue, which has been a danger for me when Iím not expecting it.

We are dealing with the same issue while walking (just barking/lunging towards other dogs) but none of the other issues. Zeke was perfect on walks until the last 6 - 8 months, then he started the barking/charging thing as we passed other dogs. I blame the terrible 2s (he's 2.5 years old).

We started putting him into a sit/stay once another dog would get close and make him hold that until the dog passed, and then reward him and it has helped. If we see he starts to tense up we use the leave it command. For the most part he's getting better, there are still some dogs that we recognize that also have the same issues and in those cases we'll try to avoid all together. If the other dog shows no interest in Zeke, we can now usually keep walking past with the occasional leave it and he knows to keep eyes forward. Always a work in progress.

He goes to doggy daycare a couple times a month and is fine with all the dogs there so guessing it's more of a case of guarding his turf/neighborhood.

The fact that he jumps at the fence when people/dogs walk by and especially trucks and plows seems like there's a bigger underlying issue that will need more than treats to work through