Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Does this GP look sick? She is very thin.

I am considering adopting this beautiful Great Pyrenees, but she looks unusually thin and kind of sickly. The current owner says she is eating well and was treated for worms. I thought the worms might have been the cause for the weight loss, but apparently this treatment was several months ago. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6989.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	10181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6989.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	10181

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Yes she looks thin....is the current owner the original owner...breeder?
    How old is this girl?
    Can you talk with the vet who treated her for worms....ask them questions about her health

My thoughts....if she is otherwise healthy, I would seriously look into getting her out of her present situation...show her some tenderness, care & security...she may turn out to be the best rescue girl for you....

Please let us know what your thoughts are & what you decide

Nancy & Rudy

Jewel`s Photos

She looks on the thin side, but the angle of the picture does not really allow a good assessment.

You said "weight loss", do you mean that the dog has lost noticeable weight recently or are you simply referring to the fact her body condition is thin? If it's the former then you do need to find out more on the reason for the weight loss. But if it is the latter, there can be a variety of reasons (high energy, picky eater, the dog is thin but being thin in itself doesn't mean the dog is sick.

If she is an adolescent, being thin can be a normal stage.

i do agree with everything Nancy said.

Puppy (New Member)

I just attached 2 more pictures. I am worried about her but not thrilled about paying these people $100 for "rehoming" and then several hundred dollars at the vet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6998.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	10183

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6998.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	10183d

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks for the reply.
    I have never seen the dog before but I was able to get an old picture from August (see attached)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7004.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	10184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7004.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	10184.

She is about a year old now they tell me. I think she looks healthier in this August picture

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Dmo....if this is the same girl, not only was she healthier looking...she was also happier looking

I would again suggest calling the vet & finding out what they have to say about her & her present situation

And personally, asking a rehoming fee is a way to assure that the girl is going to a home that wants her, wants to take care of her & wants her to have the best possible home & situation for her...

I also question the heavy chain around her neck in your last post....is she chained up outside?

Puppy (New Member)

There might be a number of reasons for the weight loss such as a change of diet in which the girl becomes picky, rehoming to a home she did not love or was not loved, change of schedule or increased outdoor activity, as well as a diet low in vital nutrients. It could also be normal health issues such as maldigestion/ malabsorption, loss of appetite, or serious underlying medical problems such as chronic infection, diabetes, etc. It’s unfortunate when most of us grapple with weight training of overweight girls but you can redeem everything by having a vet give you her history, medical condition, getting a better diet and of course more love.
    Last edited by Sydneycl; 07-08-2019 at 07:09 AM.