Current Great Pyrenees Owner

lattelove`s Photos

Default Question about heat and excessive panting

What would you consider to be hot weather for this breed? And how much panting would be considered excessive? It is getting warm here in Houston (80s this weekend), and Latte (24 months) has a much fuller coat than she did last year at this time. I am wondering how warm is too warm for her, and when to cut down on outdoor exercise. She seems to be panting more after walks and when coming inside after spending a lot of time in the backyard.

How long does your Pyr pant after coming inside from outdoor play in warm weather? I'm trying to distinguish normal panting from excessive panting due to overheating or other health issues.

Quote Originally Posted by lattelove View Post
    What would you consider to be hot weather for this breed? And how much panting would be considered excessive? It is getting warm here in Houston (80s this weekend), and Latte (24 months) has a much fuller coat than she did last year at this time. I am wondering how warm is too warm for her, and when to cut down on outdoor exercise. She seems to be panting more after walks and when coming inside after spending a lot of time in the backyard.

How long does your Pyr pant after coming inside from outdoor play in warm weather? I'm trying to distinguish normal panting from excessive panting due to overheating or other health issues.
    I can't help with how much is too much, may ask your vet next time you go in. After a walk or rough-housing, our two may pant for 10-15 minutes, but that's about it. Here in Kansas it gets pretty hot and humid during the summer, not quite Houston levels though I'm sure. When it gets to high 90s/100s, we try and take care of the walks in the morning before it gets hot out. They like to be around us so playing outside for long periods of time isn't really an issue.

Biggest thing we do is make sure there is plenty of air movement and cool surfaces for them to go to if they want to cool off. We have some tile and hardwood floor spots either under a ceiling fan or by a stand up fan that they will go to when they need some cool down time. As long as you have some air choices and plenty of water available they should be able to cool off just fine.

Jewel`s Photos

My experience is by high 70s, my pyrs wold have to stay out of direct sun or they would start to wilt. We took Ren to Austin recently and it was in the 80s and it was tough for Ren walking around with us and we were careful about keeping in the shade. Also, humidity is really hard on them too.

One way to gauge if the dog is getting really hot with exercise is to watch for the long tongue. By now you are used to seeing Latte panting. Thus you should be able to see a difference when she's panting with a long tongue. When you see that, it's time to take a break.