Thread: Dog Doors

Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Dog Doors

I don't have a Great Pyrenees. I just adopted a very tall German Shepherd. I've had an "X-LRG" dog door for years. I searched the brands when I got it. It's the largest door I could find, and it it's worked well enough until now. But this new dog is not only very tall, he's also 8-9 years old and has some arthritis in his back making it more difficult to use the door. I'm thinking that with all of the St. Bernards, Great Danes, Great Pyrenees, etc. there's got to be bigger doors. Do you know of such doors or have any suggestions? Thanks!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Quote Originally Posted by BoldChapeu View Post
    I don't have a Great Pyrenees. I just adopted a very tall German Shepherd. I've had an "X-LRG" dog door for years. I searched the brands when I got it. It's the largest door I could find, and it it's worked well enough until now. But this new dog is not only very tall, he's also 8-9 years old and has some arthritis in his back making it more difficult to use the door. I'm thinking that with all of the St. Bernards, Great Danes, Great Pyrenees, etc. there's got to be bigger doors. Do you know of such doors or have any suggestions? Thanks!
    Truthfully, we looked at every door on the market, and we were basically going to have to create an opening half the size of our backdoor. At that point, if a human could easily come through it and it doesn't keep the AC or heat in the house, why have a back door at all? We also have indoor only cats, so that complicated matters. We ended up just putting a bell on our back door and teaching the dog to ring it when he needs to go out.