Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default The powerful pyr paw question.

So our pyr mix loves to give the pyr paw. He loves it so much, you really have to pay attention or it really does hurt. My issue with him recently came about. He's now giving my 3 year old the paw, but hurting him. It's sweet he wants him to pet him, but not so sweet when hes bleeding from the scratches and now he's also jumping up on him. He's taller than my son, and yes it's pretty funny to see, minus my son's crying. He gets so excited to see him he tends to knock him down in the process (Hes about 19 months old, our mix). I have no idea how to correct this. My son just bawls since he usually ends up hurt snd then our sweet Pyr mix is totally confused. He doesn't realize he's the one who has made him cry. He's kind of clumsy in giving his paw so he really doesn't look where he's giving it either. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

You and your family are such angels for your commitment to this handsome, sweet boy.

Honestly, having been through Sebastian's adolescence with my two nephews who were young at the time (approx. age 3-6), I think your best bet is to limit the puppy’s exposure to your son to times when you can supervise and redirect him. Yep. Waaaaaaay easier said than done, I know. Corrections with these guys just don’t seem to carry the same weight as they would with a “normal dog” like a GSD or a Retriever, etc. I learned from Sebastian that to him, any attempt I made to “correct” his behavior resulted in him wanting to push back tenfold. Up until Sebastian was two years and about two months old, I had to leash him (Sebastian), so that he didn’t treat my nephews as “Human Puppies”, and play accordingly. At that time, I was fairly certain I would never adopt another puppy again. Naturally, being the sucker that I am, I am now of the mindset that I should never say never.

I know it seems unlikely, but your canine kiddo *should* calm down before year’s end, if not sooner. Right now, as frustrating as it can be, it’s a matter of setting him up to succeed, which is something you have been excelling at from the moment he joined your family.

You got this, Mama!

Please let us know how it is going!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

lattelove`s Photos

I agree with SebastiansMom in that the best approach is to limit exposure right now until your pup calms down a bit. We had a very similar situation in our family! We have a pyr mix as well, and we adopted her almost 2 years ago when our son was 4. She is an extremely good-natured dog, and not aggressive at all, but she would hurt our son unintentionally by either giving him the pyr paw or mouthing him (never biting) during play. I have to say that my son encouraged the rough play, despite knowing he would end up getting hurt, because he loved it so much.

I spent quite a bit of time letting them play together with Latte on her leash, held by me, so that I could "reign her in" when she became overly rambunctious, and it did help her learn what was acceptable and unacceptable behavior. If you haven't brought your pup to any kind of obedience training, I would highly recommend doing so, as our trainer gave us a lot of good tips for handling this as well.

2 years old seemed to be the magical age where Latte became less of a lunatic She is much calmer now when she is indoors, and plays in a more appropriate manner with our son. Now that our son is 6, he has much more self-control as well, so he doesn't provoke the behavior in Latte as much.

I do believe you are getting closer to the time where you will have more normalcy in the house, but for now they will require more supervision.

Puppy (New Member)

The 'Great Pyr Paw' is part of who he is. Our dogs, and our neighboring farmers' GP's all do it.

It's a display of affection or they wanting you to pet them, so they raise the paw and place it on you.

It's not a form of playing, and they mean no harm. They can't help that they are giants and accidentally scratch someone in the process.

We often see them placing a paw on our goats, in affection only, not playing.

They are the only breed I have seen to do this gesture as a means of a gentle display of affection.

Here's a picture of one of mine doing it, they are just saying they love you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190113_174358.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	10239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190113_174353.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	10240