Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default For those of you with Pyre mixes...question about dew claws

Hi there!

I joined this group a year or so ago when we rescued a puppy we were told was half Pyrenees.. well, pretty sure he is NOT! Lol. He is still very loved for whatever mix he is!!

Anyways... we are looking to get him a companion, and I really want a pyre mix. We found some puppies that are border collie (mom) and pyre (Dad). We visited them today and dad is 100% pyre (he has papers) and mom does appear to be a pure bred BC but no papers so not completely sure. Regardless, the pups are adorable of course. We noticed though, that while some puppies have the rear dew claws, some do not have them at all!! Is this strange or typical? All the pups look very much alike and are similar size. The female we have our eye on actually is one of the ones lacking the dew claws.

Just curious if anyone else out there has a pyre mix where they KNOW at least one parent is pure pyre, and yet no dew claws on the pups?!

Also anyone out there with a pyre/border collie mix??

Attached a pic of puppy!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D7AD0BEE-A62F-4953-A8F5-4983C19E6A23.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	10160  

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

Ha Ha Rocket by the picture you posted of her we all know she will be at your house in no time,no matter what she's mixed with? Good for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Ha Ha Rocket by the picture you posted of her we all know she will be at your house in no time,no matter what she's mixed with? Good for you guys.

Hahaha!!! Am I that transparent?! 😂

Probably better my boy has a friend right? 😁

Jewel`s Photos

Did you bring her home yet??????

It is not at all uncommon for half pyrs to not have dewclaws in the back. When they are mixed, they can exhibit traits of just one breed in their blood and not the other. Our Bro was half pyr (he’s the one on the right in my avatar pic) and he had no dewclaws at all on his back legs.

And, yes, most of them really enjoy having a sibling to play with!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Did you bring her home yet??????

It is not at all uncommon for half pyrs to not have dewclaws in the back. When they are mixed, they can exhibit traits of just one breed in their blood and not the other. Our Bro was half pyr (he’s the one on the right in my avatar pic) and he had no dewclaws at all on his back legs.

And, yes, most of them really enjoy having a sibling to play with!

Thanks Jewel!!

Do you think she will take on more of the Border Collie traits then vs the pyre side? She’s actually one of the larger ones in her litter, and her head looks bigger and more pyre like than her sibs...

We haven’t gotten her yet, she is still too little!! She needs mama for 2 more weeks

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by RocketsMom View Post
    Do you think she will take on more of the Border Collie traits then vs the pyre side? She’s actually one of the larger ones in her litter, and her head looks bigger and more pyre like than her sibs...
    That's the best part about a mix, can't guess the breed traits that will show. You will just have to wait for her to grow!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

No matter the mix, she is down right adorable. I think she is going to grow into a real beauty! Congratulations and I hope the next couple of weeks goes by fast for you.
    Jerry and Moose

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    That's the best part about a mix, can't guess the breed traits that will show. You will just have to wait for her to grow!
    So true!!! Mixes are like a box of chocolates... 😆😆

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggys Mom View Post
    No matter the mix, she is down right adorable. I think she is going to grow into a real beauty! Congratulations and I hope the next couple of weeks goes by fast for you.
    Thanks so much! She is really beautiful!!! Very excited about the possibility of being her home . I will keep you all
    Updated! Would also love to maybe snap some pics of her pure pyre Dad “Oso” because oh my goodness, what a magnificent dog he is! Just a majestic and completely magnificent boy. His eyes look right into your soul!! Mama border collie also just the sweetest.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Yes, please, we want pictures!!!

As someone who hopes not to have another puppy anytime soon, because my two boys HAVE to stay young and healthy forever, I personally LOVE puppy pictures, as well as pictures of healthy, loved parents!

I consider both of my mixes their own special “extra rare” blends!

I can’t wait to learn more about this adorable kiddo!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian