Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Max the self-appointed lifeguard

We just built a pool in our backyard. My son successfully urged Max to jump in one time, he immediately swam to the steps with wide eyes and has not been back in over his head. He likes the pool for his toes, only.

In fact, Max doesn't think my son should be all the way in the water, either. He is stressed by people swimming, though the spa is fine. Yesterday he tried several times to tow his boy out by his rashguard shirt and once he even grabbed a mouthful of hair and tried to rescue him that way. (The child outweighs the dog by 20 pounds, I don't think a rescue by his shirt or the hair of his head would be effective, even if needed.) We are hoping Max will acclimate and realize the pool is normal and no rescues are needed. Any experience and/or tips for this?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

No experience at all with situation like this. I will admit I did hae to laugh at Max trying to rescue by grabbing a mouthful of hair.My Pyr Sir Moose didn't even want to walk in wet grass so he would have not gone for a swim. Our Pyr Jewel likes water. But I am not sure either of them would ahe attempted a rescue. I hope Max does come to realize that the pool is a fun place and he doesn't have to rescue anayone, and should even join in the fun.
    Jerry and Moose

Jewel`s Photos

Sorry, I too am of no help but just wanted to say what a good boy Max is, being such the good guardian of his people!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Once again, Sebastian is the antiMax.

The one and only time Sebastian and Chester accompanied me to my sisterís current house, We were sitting out by the pool, when Sebastian decided that it would be hilarious if he pushed Chester in. Despite being part Lab, Chester is not a fan of the water, and was absolutely terrified.

Sebastian was thoroughly proud of himself.

Iím almost certain that if we had a pool, Sebastian would delight in pushing me in, as well - especially if I were fully dressed and running late for something.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

I cannot get Pippa out of the water. I am convinced that swimming is the thing that she loves the most.
    I have been running in some trails close to home with a bunch of friends and their dogs, and while we run, the dogs play and stay on the path. Pippa is the only one that has the urge to go in the river EVERY 5 MINUTES. Even when it's 0 degrees, she will get in the water.

In the summer, we go to our lake house and once she is at the lake, she doesn't want to interact with me. She just wants to be in the water and swim. And chase people on boats, kids playing, people canoeing. When she is not in the water, she sleeps on boat that we keep anchored to a wooden pier. She sleeps there at night thinking someone will go for a boat ride early in the morning.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Yes, it was hilarious when Max grabbed my son's hair. Most of his antics amuse us, and he is by far the best dog I have ever had. I can certainly see why a pyrenees is not a good match for most homes, but this particular pyrenees has all our hearts on a string.

We don't make it easy for him, guarding people from lawn care teams and pools and the scary ghost dog who shows up at the window at night is WAY harder than guarding goats from puny coyotes. But he is certain he is up for the task and takes it very seriously.

I was prepared for Max to be like Pippa, he loves the water. But so far, being in over his head is just too scary to pursue further. We'll see how that changes as the warm weather puts a small herd of kids in the pool every afternoon, laughing and throwing balls!

Sebastian sounds hilarious, you could become internet famous if you had video of him pushing his doggy brother in the pool and laughing about it!