Thread: Farm training

Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Farm training

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and I hope I am in the right place to get the answers I am looking for.
    My family and myself are finally moving to our dream farm. We are wanting to get a GP to help protect our animals.
    Where we live there are Cyotes, Fox and other small animals that could easily kill our chickens or hurt our horses/goats.

I have done lots of research into differnt types of dogs for farm use, and the GP seems to be the best choice for our family.
    They are good for protecting the farm, but still very friendly with kids and people.

My quetion is, I have never trained a dog to be a farm dog before. I would love some tips on how to do this.
    We would be getting a puppy so we could raise it on our land. But I have no idea how to keep the dog in our yard, train it not to go after our chickens, cats, goats and horses, should I get a male or female, or any other training advice you have.

Thank you!!

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Honestly, because you have zero experience with livestock guardian dogs, I think it would be best if you look around to adopt an adult dog that had worked as a LGD and then bring your puppy home so that the adult dog can train the puppy. Not all pups will grow up to be effective guardians, so you are taking a chance with a pup. As to gender, both males and females can work fine. But if you decide to get an adult and pup, you should get different genders. Same gender aggression is not uncommon in this breed.

Also, most pyrs need to be fenced to keep them securely on the property. Some pyrs are fine staying around the property without being fenced in, but many are not. This is why there is a huge number of pyrs in rescues here in Texas, so many that they have to ship them to other parts of the country to find them homes.

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Hi there, im not an expert forsure, but can lend a little insight by telling you how we do it.
    First and always number 1 task for our dogs is fencing. It is NOT an option. We just purchased 20 acres of raw land. Before our new house gets built or anything is fence for dogs.
    Our dogs come above all other livestock, because without them we have no protection. After that is complete then you get a puppy. We have had countless farm dogs in our lives as my husband and i were both raised on farms and have continued for another 25 yrs together farming. We have personally had better luck with pups then rescues on the farm. ALL are work some easier than others, my 2 now are both young Murphy just over a year and Molly just under a year. He is awesome around all animals here and always has been, not perfect but great. She is NOT to be trusted around chickens at this point, but all our dogs including Murphy even though he was great remain leashed around chickens until at least 1 yr. Molly will be longer, we cross fenced so she is in our "yard" when not supervised. We have hogs and cattle as well and no training was necessary there, dogs find there place quickly with those animals. We have a couple flemish giant rabbits as well that roam free, again Molly cannot be trusted but fortunately they are fast and know the hiding spots. Anyway we have never spent a lot of time "training" a farm dog. Only living on a leash with us during chores for a long time.
    Now traing to be a LGD living with livestock bonded..... i have zero experience.
    As for male or female, really that would be a personal preference. I prefer the males...my husband the females, go figure. Lol. I think the males are more laid back, females more attentive and protective but that is MY opinion only.
    Anyway thats my 2 cents....

Fence fence fence is number 1
    Keep your soul clean
    And
    Your boots dirty.