Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Major skin problems :(

We recently inherited a ~5yo great pyr mix from our in laws. Tobi is a sweet dog but has some health problems, particularly skin issues. Itchy itchy dog with pink skin and black spots. Most recent bath we noticed his belly has this bad rash with these yellow crusty pieces that we tried to rinse/brush out. Also noticed similar areas on back leg and shoulder and side of mouth/lip

We’ve taken him to the vet several times who’ve said it is yeast infections (likely secondary to environmental allergens?) and we have medicated shampoo that we bathe him with every 1-2 weeks. They have also given him a 5 day course of prescription anti fungal.

It’s been approx two months and we haven’t seen much improvement. Fish oil daily and we also recently started him on these gummy vitamins called zesty paws for immune boosting.

It’s just a little sad there doesn’t feel like much improvement so looking for other possible suggestions

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5965C6AC-94E9-4319-9C5E-A429616F68A2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	10082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4590C0AE-1A42-48CF-B87B-631CF6F58C4D.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	10083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FEAD6019-D13F-4DFF-AF5B-372D3D519747.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	10084

Jewel`s Photos

There are countless reasons why dogs are itchy. But food is one of the most common culprits. What kind of food is he eating? What type of protein source, grains, contain potatoes?

If he has yeast infection over his body he really needs to be bathed no less than once a week. My Ren had yeast issues when he was a pup. I bathed him weekly and after he had been rinsed clean of shampoo, I doused him with diluted apple cider vinegar. One cup in about a gallon of water. I did that for 6 weeks straight and it worked for him.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    There are countless reasons why dogs are itchy. But food is one of the most common culprits. What kind of food is he eating? What type of protein source, grains, contain potatoes?

If he has yeast infection over his body he really needs to be bathed no less than once a week. My Ren had yeast issues when he was a pup. I bathed him weekly and after he had been rinsed clean of shampoo, I doused him with diluted apple cider vinegar. One cup in about a gallon of water. I did that for 6 weeks straight and it worked for him.
    Ok thanks will try vinegar in his last rinse.

He eats grain free salmon sweet potato kibble - taste of the wild or costco’s version nature’s domain. He also gets it “topped” with a homemade soup/gravy of meat and veggies (like chicken carrot peas) Otherwise he won’t eat his kibble. The vet had suggested this hills science environ-defense prescription food but at $100/month bag just not affordable for a 120lbs+ dog that has other prescriptions and vitamins already

Quote Originally Posted by tobiaspup View Post
    Ok thanks will try vinegar in his last rinse.

He eats grain free salmon sweet potato kibble - taste of the wild or costco’s version nature’s domain. He also gets it “topped” with a homemade soup/gravy of meat and veggies (like chicken carrot peas) Otherwise he won’t eat his kibble. The vet had suggested this hills science environ-defense prescription food but at $100/month bag just not affordable for a 120lbs+ dog that has other prescriptions and vitamins already
    Our pyr mix is allergic to salmon. He was given salmon dog food right before he came into our home wnd his skin was a diaster. Bright red covered in scabs. Some were black. She said he reacted pretty quickly and the vet said he was allergic. We haven't given him salmon since and he's been fine. He's eaten both chicken and lamb.

It's worth a shot changing his food from salmon to another choice. Just make sure the food has no fish as some tend to it you change.

I edited to add. Ours wouldn't eat his food either for a long time till we changed brands. Now he gulps it down. Old owner said he would never eat unless smothered like you are doing. Apparently he just didn't like the food.

Road Dawg

My last Pyr had major skin problems too. We could never pinpoint an allergy, but he needed to take a medication called, Atopica, which is an immune suppresent. It did help him, but once in a while he did get infections that a I treated with ointment. He's been gone 5 years, but now there is an injection that can be given and it lasts a few months with good success. My vet was telling me about it and wished it was around when Cody needed it.