Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Do not like to load into truck . . .

I need to take my 2 5 month old Gr Pry siblings to get their second round of shots and they do NOT like to get in the truck. They have only done it once before and it was my fault that it went South. I have never had dogs that did not like to get in the truck and go so I did not allow enough time the first time for them to get comfortable and used my size to make them eventually get in (I had allowed an hour to load them slowly - was not enough time for them . . . )

I get why they don't like it. I used a bale of straw for them to get in and out and that seems to be working on for now but the female is just terrified and a bit high strung. The male will load but she will not follow. I have been putting their food in the back when it is feeding time and he will get in there and eat but she will not. I def traumatized her the first time and did not intend to. She is just very different from her brother and my previous Gr Pyr in temperament.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Gari

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Have you tried using a higher value treat to lure her? I have found that when Sebastian doesn’t want to do something, BBQ Brisket is an excellent motivator. If you can get her to associate getting in the truck with something really awesome that she doesn’t always get, it will likely help her overcome her fear of the truck.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Young Dawg (Member)

Thank you as I have not done so. I have been reluctant to give them too much exciting food because of their age but I think they are old enough now to give it a try! I found a mobile vet for this visit but ultimately I need to get them to load so I will continue to work on this with patience and treats!

Gari
    Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Have you tried using a higher value treat to lure her? I have found that when Sebastian doesn’t want to do something, BBQ Brisket is an excellent motivator. If you can get her to associate getting in the truck with something really awesome that she doesn’t always get, it will likely help her overcome her fear of the truck.