Current Great Pyrenees Owner

cooltouch`s Photos

Default Charlie's Feet -- er, Paws

Charlie is our 10 month old Great Pyr. He's in good health and my guess is he weighs close to 100 lb now. He is big, but not just big -- he must be made of something as dense as concrete, because he is heavy for his overall size and physique.

I've read on several occasions that Great Pyrs have two dew claws on each rear paw, so I decided to check him out and what I found was interesting. Charlie has a single dew claw on each front paw, but no dew claws on his rear feet. Plus, he has pronounced webbed paws. The webbing extends all the way out almost to the tips of each toe. Even his dew claws are webbed. Interesting.

I was told by the people who owned the mother that both his mother and father are pure bred, but without papers. I asked how they knew they were purebred and she said she knew their parents and they had papers. Okay fine, well Charlie certainly looks purebred. But from what I've read of the various breed "standards," it seems as if he resembles more of the French Standard. His face is rather pointy and not blocky at all. Minimal lip sag. So I guess I'm wondering if he conforms to more of a continental body plan, and if his lack of dew claws and webbed paws would be more normal in that situation.

I've taken some pics of Charlie, and as I was reviewing them, I noticed something interesting. His retinas reflect different colors. His left retina reflects blue and his right retina reflects yellow. I have one blurry photo I can show you and another close up that shows the colors, although more dimly.

I'll post a couple more photos, just to show you what he looks like now. When I had him outside, I couldn't get him to let go of chew toys. Oh well. The last photo -- he's stepped up onto a cooler we have sitting on the floor in the kitchen -- which puts him almost at eye level with my wife. It's hard to believe that he's still just a 10 month old puppy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlies_eyes_crop.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	10060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlie_7_crop.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	10061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlie_4a.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	10062   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlie_8a.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	10063  
    Best,
    Michael

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Charlie is such a handsome boy!!! I've had two GP mixes that did not have double dew claws. My male that was 3/4 GP had double on one hind leg and a single on the other. My female GPxAussie did not have any.

cooltouch`s Photos

So, you think Charlie might be a mix? His mother lives next door, and she sure does look like a GP. His father used to live there, but he managed to get out of their fencing and ran off, never to be seen again. My mother had a GP and she lost him in a similar way. It seems that they have a tendency toward wanderlust. Anyway, I knew the father by sight fairly well, and he looked just as much GP as the mother does. So if Charlie is a mix, it probably isn't by much, I would think.

I read through an earlier thread here where it seemed folks decided that a lack of dew claws on the rear paws meant the dog wasn't a pure breed. So, no exceptions? Frankly I don't care if he's pure or not. He's a pet, not a breeding animal. But I tell you what, he sure does show strong GP tendencies as far as his character and temperment. Very head strong, definitely has a mind of his own. He got out of the backyard once and the last thing he had on his mind when he was out was coming to me when I called him. But he's also very affectionate, although he can be rather insistent in his affections at times.
    Best,
    Michael

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Not too sure about how the mixes work out in regard to dew claws. Like I said, my boy that was 1/4 Anatolian did not have full double dews on his hind legs. But. my current girl (who we have no known history on) has full double dews. Lily is undoubtedly a mix of some kind. She has a very Retriever-like look to her head and her fur is not pure white and she does not carry the full coat of a GP. She really has a light tan coat with white tips. Make her look white until you brush her fur back. Aside from a bit more mane about the neck, she carries about the same level of coat my Kangals do and this is no where near what my 3/4 Pyr carried. So interesting to see how they come together! No matter what genetics Charlie carries, he is a very handsome boy and I suspect you don't care anymore than I do what percentage he might be. I have observed that many folks call all white fluffy dogs GPs but there are multiple other breeds out there that fall into that category. While lesser known, many of these breeds are lumped under the GP label simply because folks aren't familiar with the other large, white fluffies. Akbash is a good example. Comes in longer and short coat, can have double or single dew claws. USUALLY not quite as heavy-built as a GP but known to so few people that they would never know the difference.

Jewel`s Photos

Lack of double dews is a serious fault from the point of breed standards, but the dog could still be purebred. In many cases though, the dog has a single dew or only one set of double dews or a second dew that is not fully developed. To not have any back dewclaws at all on both legs does suggest that Charlie may have another breed somewhere up the line. There are lots of LGDs in Texas. Pyr mixed with akbash or maremma would look just like a pyr but without double dewclaws.

With respect to the French look, it is different than the American look. French line dogs are generally long legged and taller than American dogs. The head has a slightly different shape than American dogs. Charlie's head is pretty typical American pyr. Pyr heads aren't supposed to be blocky. The pyr is not a mastiff type dog and should not have the big matstiff head.

Charlie is a good looking young man no matter what!

cooltouch`s Photos

All this other breed stuff is interesting -- but just that. I'm not all that interested in reading up on these other breeds because, like I wrote above, he's a pet -- but he's also become part of the family. And we treat him as such.

One thing I wrote that nobody has commented on so far that I really am curious about is how prevalent (or not) it is for GPs to have two different retina reflective colors. Anybody else have a GP with two different retinas? I hesitate to call it "colored retinas" when what it is is the color that they are reflecting.
    Best,
    Michael