Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Road Trip advice

Hi All,

I have an opportunity to surprise a friend for his 50th birthday at the invitation of his wife. He lives 14 hours away and while I'd love to go Moo is still ajusting. I've had him almost 3 months now. We have been doing a lot of socializing and he's getting along with other dogs and has been very accepting of people....though he's still very cautious initially. He loves my truck and we do a lot of off leash hiking. He's probably the best dog I've ever had in a car. He settles in and either sleeps or calmly sits at the window and looks out. He 6 1/2 months still very routine oriented.

I'd love to take him with me but he's just starting to get some confidence and I worry that a trip might be too much for him. My friends are dog people and he wouldn't be away from me but I'm not sure such a new experience would be good for him.... On the other hand, any time I take him to a trail he's all in whether he's been there or not. I could bring his crate so he has something from home that makes him comfortable.

A lady trainer told me I should look to board him but I don't think we're ready for that. At least if he came with me.....I would be there instead of a new place and new people.

I've sort of thought of just sending a gift and letting his wife know it's not a good time. But one of the things I'd love is for him to share some travel with me. But I don't want to undo all the hard work he's done. Any advice? Part of me thinks this might be what he needs....I just don't know. The itinerary would be two 7ish hour driving days and two days with my friends then two back. So 6 days total away from home.

Jewel`s Photos

Will this be a big celebration with lots of people? 6 days is a long time for a first trip for a pup that is a bit shy. I am not worried about the driving portion because he's comfortable being in the truck with you. The sleeping at a different place almost each night is likely what would stress him out. Not sleeping well for 5 nights is going to make one exhausted pup. It can be done, but I'd say it would depend on what the two days with your friends would be like. I think if it's just you and the husband and wife and that you wouldn't be leaving Moo alone for hours while the humans go to restaurants, then I think it can be doable. But if it's going to be a big party with lots of people, I am not sure Moo is ready for that on top of being away from home for so long.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Mark....I also think that if the celebration is going to be a mellow, not too many people situation, then I would take Moo.

You can make the drive an adventurous one, stopping at places that he can walk, stretch his legs, get some new scents...

I would hesitate to leave him in a boarding situation right now, for multiple reasons....

I have always thought my dogs were better with me than without me, taking their beds with me, toys and their food & treats....I have traveled from Alaska to Arizona with my dogs, driving the whole way....now my situation was different....I had multiple dogs, so they always had the companionship of their "pack"

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

I'm not sure how big this will be. I was told I could stay there so I'm guessing it's going to be pretty small. But I'm thinking I might try a small trip first and see how he does. He's been making progress and I don't want to undo that. I do think he'd actually love the traveling but like Jewel said it's the sleeping and being in a strange house for two days that might be tough. I do agree with you both that leaving him at a kennel at this stage is not good. Maybe sometime in the next several months we can try that with me actually being around in case it's too much. I do think he's progressing to the point where he'll be much more adaptable....but only if I don't impede that progress.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

When I go out of town, the boys’ favorite “Uncle” comes to stay with them. He’s a coworker of mine who has known Sebastian since he was a tiny baby puppy, and Chester since he came to live with me. Sebastian and Chester absolutely adore him.

I was really worried the first time “Uncle K” stayed with them, because Chester was going through a period of pretty serious anxiety. Uncle K did a fantastic job of keeping them in their normal daily routine, which was beyond helpful for Chester’s nerves. I have a Nest camera that I checked obsessively that first year, and Chester did far better than I ever could have imagined. Honestly, I think the boys were a little disappointed when I came home and they learned that Uncle K wasn’t going to stay with them forever. He’s waaaaaaaaay more fun than I am.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Former Great Pyrenees Owner

I say that it's a good idea. He will enjoy very much and as he is with you, there is no doubt. And you can also surprise your friend while he will get to know new people, and eventually, he will adjust also he will enjoy a lot.