Thread: Yawning

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Yawning

Bianca is a 4 yr old Pyr/Anatolian.We got her about 3 months ago. One puzzling behavior is she seems to constantly be yawning. I don't think she is overly stressed or has an ear infection. Is this a manifestation of boredom? She will yawn even when we take her to the dog park which is one of her most exiting parts of the day. There are so many quirky things about these dogs that I can't help but wonder if it is part of the accessory list which comes with this breed.

Our Murphy is constantly yawning as well, think it's just personality trait, not necessarily meaning he's bored or tired (I'm also not a vet so that could be completely incorrect). Zeke our other one is just a normal yawner.

But I did notice that right away with Murphy.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) 2BIGWHITEDOGS's Avatar

2BIGWHITEDOGS`s Photos

Yawning is a calming signal. Sometimes dogs do it to show other dogs that they are not a threat or to help settle a more rambunctious dog down. I took a behaviour class with Mya and we did a yawning circle. All the handlers sat in a circle with their dogs and yawned. All the dogs lay down, even the hyper ones.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by 2BIGWHITEDOGS View Post
    I took a behaviour class with Mya and we did a yawning circle. All the handlers sat in a circle with their dogs and yawned.
    That is totally awesome! I've used the yawn on a number of occasions to communicate with a dog. My most rewarding time was one very cold (for TX that is) morning we came across a stray in the park trotting on the trail and I was able to convince him, complete with yawning, to let me get close enough to put a leash on him. When I finally got a hand on him, I was horrified to find he was completely and utterly emaciated, a walking skeleton. It was a cold day with sleet/snow forecasted for that night. We were glad we got him out of that weather as he had absolutely no body fat to protect him against the cold.

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks so much for the input. I was concerned that Bianca’s yawning was an anxiety symptom. She does seem to do it a lot though. Maybe she’s thinking the crazy two legged critters need calming. I had never heard of that. We were at the dog park yesterday and she was laying down while I was chatting. A very small rescue dog saught her out as a barrier from the rambunctious terriers and labs. Very cute. I need to remember my camera... then figure out how to post pictures to the site

Jewel`s Photos

A dog will yawn if it is feeling a bit unsure and wants to communicate that it has only peaceful intentions. You might want to log the particulars when you see Bianca yawning to see if there is a pattern. Now, of course, yawning is not always a calming signal, they yawn if they're sleepy, like us.