Thread: Goat protection

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Goat protection

Hi, I have 2 great Pyrenees, they are almost 3 years old, male and fixed female, I put them with my goats at night because of coyotes and bear, both dogs take care of the goats, clean them, lay with them and have done so all there life, the goats are the same age as the dogs and all grew up together. Hereís what Iíve run into, my goats are now having young, and when they are first born both of the dogs clean up the after birth as well as clean the baby, note they never harm the baby but they keep the mama goat away from the baby, aggressively at times. This has happened 4 separate times, I have to stay with them until they get use to the mama staying with the baby, usually a few hours, has this happened to anyone else? Note, these are great dogs, they stay with my free range chickens and guineas, we brought 2 kittens home and they donít bother them at all, witch seems weird to me Iíve never had a dog that doesnít go after cats.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Antonia`s Photos

This is a rather common problem with young working dogs. Birthing can be very stressful for young dogs and they often resort to resource guarding the babies from their mothers. You may have better success keeping the dogs separated from the new mothers and babies until after the birth so as not to trigger resource guarding. After the mother and baby have bonded and the dogs see them as a unit, there is not problem. Some dogs never do well with birthing situations and some adjust and understand the baby belongs to the mother. In my opinion, better to play it safe and keep the dogs away from the new babies until they have bonded with their mothers....