Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Deshedding shampoo

After reading so many good reviews on the furminator deshedding shampoo, I got two bottles. I spent 3 hours grooming Kit over the weekend. How? 10 leave on shampoo, 5 min conditioner, and 10 min washing and working up a lather. Then the rest of the 2.5 hours was spent using my force dryer plowing out her packed coat. The shampoo is suppose to loosen up any dead hairs so after using it, you are suppose to rake out all the dead hairs out or it will fall all over the floor. I had spent 2 hours combing out every last hair on Saturday. The force dryer was set to maximum. I have one for my poodle mix because he gets matted so easily. We decided to use it on Kit, who has more undercoat than your average LGD. It was snowing in my bathroom and there is so much hair everywhere that I had to wear a mask while blowdryer it out. If you ever force dry a pyr, do it in a confined area where the clean up is easy because it goes everywhere.

The review on amazon said they went from daily vacuum to weekly vacuum. I must have a different kind of dog because that did not happen 5 days later, I'm still vacuuming every day. God Help Me. Perhaps, they keep losing hairs from the furminator deshedding shampoo. I am on a quest to lessen the shedding.

I've adopted the following things that help:
    1. I have every kind of lint remover you can possibly imagine. The best one is the velcro one from 3M they discontinued.
    2. irobot 980. It can only do so much. It works best for hardwood floors without cords.
    3. My go to method is the dyson cordless v6
    4. flying pig force dryer and comb a lot....i mean daily.

Will be following up this thread. My goal is just to vacuum less than once a day. Currently, I vacuum probably two times a day.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    It was snowing in my bathroom and there is so much hair everywhere that I had to wear a mask while blowdryer it out.
    I don't know what to say... I think I've probably become entirely blind to the problem by now...

After all this grooming, when one were to pet Kit, does fur comes flying off still??!!!!!

Ren carries the heaviest coat of all of our pyrs. But his shedding is not outrageous (that or I just no longer notice). I run a pin brush over him a couple of times a week and once a month or so I comb him out to force out undercoat. And he gets a bath about once a month. That is enough to keep the shedding in check for the most part. Of course during coat blowing season I spend more time on the combing.

snow0160`s Photos

I'm hairy and stopped caring so much; however, since the new year my mom said i should make it a goal to be less hairy. lol I mean my family joked about eating dog hair this past christmas when i said I was going to host the party. I laughed it off but I've been hanging out the gym lately now the gym friends are like look dog hair from yesterday's work out....thats how I know you are honest about coming back. ARGG!! I'm totally combing as if my life is dependent on it; hence the multi hour groom session. After reading some amazing reviews on the furminator deshedder, I thought that this was my chance to be hair free. Nope. lol

It is a hairy life for better or worse. I just got the new GoPet dematting/undercoat rake. It is a lot of trial and error....so far nothing works really well.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Honestly, I think that the things that your Mom and Gym Friends have been telling you say more about who THEY are as people, than they say about you. You share your home and your life with animals. Thereís going to be hair. Anyone who has a problem with that could probably benefit from some self-examination, because I can guarantee that not one of them is perfect.

Anyone who thinks that there is room for improvement in your ability to wrangle unbelievable amounts of pet hair is more than welcome to come to my house and see if they can achieve perfect pet hair elimination with less than half the number of pets than they have at your house. SPOILER ALERT: They canít. It simply canít be done. Sure, I could do a better job of cleaning the hair at my house if I wanted to, but Iíll never attain perfection. As soon as I get one area clean, along will come the dogs to shed more hair in it. Itís like glitter, but less sparkly.

Your value as a person is far more than just your ability to wrangle dog (and cat) hair.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

snow0160`s Photos

GoPet is getting returned as I type. It didn't do much. How is this thing magic? My double rowed JW rake works much better and it was only $6.
    I had a friend who stopped coming over because he said our home is too hairy passive aggressively years ago when i had Sahara. Our home was pretty immaculate then because we only had one dog back then. I wonder what he'd think now with our four dogs and two cats. lol It is good we stopped hanging out. The hair sometimes serves as a reason I don't invite people over or when people suggest I host something. I'd joke that everyone would have lots of fiber from Kit. Now, no one comes which is great because I don't have to clean. I will, however, try to give the deshedding shampoo another go in two weeks...perhaps it requires continuous use.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Dog hair is a good source of protein!

My two cents:

People who are allergic to dogs who come over my house say that their allergies are worse if I vacuum the same they they're supposed to come. Unless you have an amazing vacuum that is perfectly sealed and retains all the hair and allergens 100% efficiently, you're going to have some particles flying around in your house. If I vacuum the day before they're coming, they tend to do so much better since there is less allergens in the air. That's what they say!

I am very OCD about cleaning and I vacuum almost every day (except for the days I have visits). I always have Pippa's hair on me. I don't care anymore... I use the furminator once a week, but that doesn't prevent the shedding. Baths once a month.

snow0160`s Photos

Mike! You should live with me. I'm a bit OCD about cleaning as well. I vacuum at least once a day and sometimes twice.

I am also allergic to dogs. I probably should mention this. I am severely allergic to amaranth during the spring and I purchased the rabbit air purifier. It helps a lot. I have three other breeds: pug, poodle mix, pom. I am most allergic to short haired animals like pugs, labs, short coated terriers. I bathe usually once every two months and brush whenever I remember. 2019 is going to be a new year with better dog grooming habits. aszx

Oh! humidifiers!

I bought this one on Christmas and since then I don't wake up with a sore throat anymore. With how dry Michigan is in the winter, plus Pippa sleeping by my side, and the hair... I was waking up with a really sore and dry throat. I think this has helped me a lot.

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...caAvbIEALw_wcB

In the winter I tend to bath Pippa less frequently because she can't air dry outside and she's not a big fan of hair blowers. It's too cold to let her air dry outside.

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    Mike! You should live with me. I'm a bit OCD about cleaning as well. I vacuum at least once a day and sometimes twice.
    I can't imagine the amount of hair you have to accumulate in one day in your house. If you could sell it, you'd be a millionaire!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I ordered these a couple of weeks ago:
    https://handsongloves.com

Chester LOOOOOOOOOVES them. Sebastian tolerates them, which says a lot, considering how much he HATES being brushed. He let me use them to get quite a bit of hair off of him last weekend.

If youíre looking to up your deshedding game, these might be a good choice. Go to the video section of their site and watch the video of the guy using them on his husky. That is what sold me on them.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian