Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Thrashing around on the leash

Hi everyone! We have a 3 month old great Pyrenees puppy, she just turned 3 months on the 20th. She hasn't been on a leash really at all, I tried to put one on her back when she was 7-8 weeks and she just sat there , would not walk. Now today I got her a larger collar bc she'd outgrown the other one, so I decided to put the leash on just to see how she'd do, well she ran forever and when I finally got it on her she would thrash and flop around like crazy every time I tried to pick it up or have her to walk to me on it or something. I know these dogs are very independent but surely they can be trained to use a leash?? We don't take her many places because she gets car sick :/ but we are wanting to get her into the petsmart class if we can get her to stop throwing up every car ride. My husband thinks we can train her ourselves though, since really all I want her to learn is not to have food aggression toward our chihuahua and to be nice to our kids(9,7, almost 2 and due in March with the last one!) and to sit if needed. Not sure if it will affect behavior but we plan to have her spayed in two months, right before 6 months old. I just wanted to see if anyone has any tips for getting her comfortable on, and not afraid of, the leash and collar, or just training in general. Thanks!

Jewel`s Photos

Have you tried just letting her drag the leash around just to let her get used to the weight of the leash? Or is she freaking out just with the leash attached to her collar without a human holding it at the other end?

If she doesn't freak out with the leash just attached, then you can let her walk around and get used to the weight of the leash. Have very high value treats on hand and reward her for accepting the leash being attached to the collar.

If she totally freaks out just having the leash attached without you trying to pull her, then try tying a shorter length of rope of some sort that isn't as long or heavy as your leash.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Have you tried just letting her drag the leash around just to let her get used to the weight of the leash? Or is she freaking out just with the leash attached to her collar without a human holding it at the other end?

If she doesn't freak out with the leash just attached, then you can let her walk around and get used to the weight of the leash. Have very high value treats on hand and reward her for accepting the leash being attached to the collar.

If she totally freaks out just having the leash attached without you trying to pull her, then try tying a shorter length of rope of some sort that isn't as long or heavy as your leash.
    She started doing a little better. I've been putting it on her inside and she walks around with it on (6ft leash) and she seems to be warming up a little to it but when we try to pick it up and lead her she's like omg what are you doing lol

Dixie_love`s Photos

I am having the same issue with my 2 1/2 months old girl. I started taking her for short walks every day, like to the end of the street and back, or to the mailbox and back. Often I have to drag her or entice her to start walking. Yet when we turn to go back home, she runs happily toward the house and can't wait to get inside. I am looking forward to taking her for walks on a leash, so this is definitely an issue for us to address as well. Like you, we plan on taking classes at Petco. But I hope with perseverance and patience she'd get used to walking on a leash eventually.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie_love View Post
    I am having the same issue with my 2 1/2 months old girl. Often I have to drag her or entice her to start walking. Yet when we turn to go back home, she runs happily toward the house and can't wait to get inside.
    At her age it is normal for her to be reluctant to go far from her home. In the wild, puppies her age do not wander far from the den for survival reasons. They are still too uncoordinated to outrun any threat so instinctively they want to stay close to their den. Every step she takes away from her "den" she's venturing into the territories of other adult animals and increasing risk.

I would just take her on very short walks and make things happy. It's not about distance, just make the experience positive with the leash.

When Ren was 3 months old we were out on our morning walk one day and the trash truck came down the street and he totally freaked out. I had to carry him home. 36 lbs sure felt a lot heavier after a couple of blocks...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
    You can't change who the great pyrenees is, no matter how many leashes, scoldings, or zapper-collars you use. My advice is to give him to a good farm or home with lots of roaming land and let him be the dog he is, and buy yourself a lap dog.
    Not helpful.

Look, itís great that farm life worked out for your two, but not all Pyrs are successful as livestock guardians. Part of that is on breeders who donít know the breed well enough to be breeding, part of it is on farmers who buy puppies and donít take the time to socialize the pups with their livestock properly before leaving the dogs with their charges full- time, and part of it is just the nature of genetics. If Pyrs donít belong in homes, then what are we supposed to do with the staggering numbers of Pyrs who need somewhere to live, but arenít well suited for guarding? Somehow, shooting them doesnít quite seem fair, despite the depressing regularity with which it seems to happen.

In the case of this PUPPY, the leash walking issues are ones that can occur with PUPPIES of any breed. No dog is born instantly knowing how to walk on a leash. We have to teach them - a task that is easier for some than it is for others, depending on a whole lot of factors - the dogís personality amongst them.

If you read the threads on this forum, you are likely to find a number of Pyrs and Pyr mixes whose personalities differ greatly. Some of them are or would be great guardians, others not so much. Sebastian has the barking down pat, but lacks the impulse control to be around small, fuzzy creatures without wanting to play with them to death. He also has quite the fondness for Air Conditioning and gel-infused memory foam. When he was a puppy, we lived in a neighborhood that had horse-drawn carriage rides during the holiday season so that people could look at all of the light displays. Sebastian despised those horses. Maybe heíd be better with sheep or goats, but weíll never know.

Our vet always makes it a point to remark on how happy Sebastian and Chester, my lab mix, are, so thatís good enough for me.

As it turns out, Chester isnít the worldís most reliable retriever, and he hates water. Like his big brother, he is right where he belongs, which is at home with me.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Putting a leash on a great pyrenees is , well, like putting lipstick on a pig...
    So glad that you got two pyrs and now you are the world's foremost expert on the breed. Good for you!!

Puppy (New Member)

I'm a 4th generation livestock farmer, been around LGD's all my life - anatolians, kangals, great pyr's. That doesn't make me an expert, but I know the purpose and habits of the lgd breeds. I'll use mine for guarding my livestock, killing coyotes, and eating any other animal that enters our pastures. I really don't care what you do with yours. I came to this forum looking for more farmers to share experiences and ideas, and I see from many albums here that I'm definitely in the wrong place. OH, and I guess your 4,930 posts and having your lg dog in the middle of a huge city makes YOU an expert ...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

OH, and I guess your 4,930 posts and having your lg dog in the middle of a huge city makes YOU an expert ...
    Well, she HAS leash trained more than one, amongst other things.

Dude, you really kind of asked for it when you advised that someone give away their puppy on a thread about leash training, despite the fact that youíve never leash trained a Pyr. Growing up around working LGDs doesnít make you any more knowledgeable on training them than growing up with doctors makes me capable of performing brain surgery.

If you really donít care what people do with their dogs, then kindly refrain from that whole ďPyrs belong on farms or 20,000,000 acresĒ nonsense. Plenty of Pyrs and members of other LGD breeds thrive in cities with or without your approval.

I hear FB has some groups for ya.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

WillCot`s Photos

Hey snowy. We currently have an 9 week old puppy and when we first got her she had the same use off not liking the leash. She also hated walking anywhere. After about a week of her wearing it constantly inside the house (-in the crate for safety) she is now able to wear it without freaking out. She is also going in short walks in the evening when it's cooler. With our puppy treats don't really work for her when it came to the leash or walking (we have tried many different types.) For her it was all about acting overly excited to the point of embarresment to us to get her happy to the leash and walking. So in short I recommend praise and just letting the puppy get use to it and hopefully it will get better.