Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) paulewog's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

I missed a couple posts there. You would think I'd have figured this forum thing out after working as a software engineer for a while now... :P

We have been concerned about cancer in that he also has a ton of lipomas ... but benign, all the times we've biopsied them. "Chew his back every so often" - that's curious. Benaiah does that, too; I *think* more recently, but I can't remember.

Next time we go in to the vet, I can ask about the additional diagnostic tests. The vet is very open to talking, so that's good And also ask about more specific thyroid testing; I need to read up on that again. I remember reading about the more detailed/accurate tests, but vaguely.

Addison's - I read about that one, as well, but will read more. Thank you both, Jewel and SM... sorry I missed them! And it's always sad to read about other people's dogs' troubles, but thank you for recounting them for our sake.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

From what I understand of autoimmune diseases, if Benaiah has an autoimmune disease like thyroid disease and/or vitiligo, and a poultry allergy, then it is possible that the exposure to foods with chicken-based ingredients could be triggering an autoimmune response, as well. With that being said, I am not a biologist or physician, and there is an entire internet industry built on providing misinformation about autoimmune diseases as a way of selling diet books and supplements. Still, the few reputable sources out there seem to think there is evidence to support the allergy/autoimmune flare link.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) paulewog's Avatar

That's also interesting and will have to look that up, too! Lots of reading for later My wife has a variety of food related issues that affect her in a lot of ways, so I'm ready to believe a lot of things about food allergies/intolerances... heh.

We'll see how the no-poultry-not-even-flavorings goes. If there's improvement, it *seems* like it would be a fairly nice explanation, due to the amount of poultry that he had in 2018 and correlating it with various episodes, when it got worse, etc...