Thread: Won’t eat

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Won’t eat

Hello everyone I got a female Great Pyrenees don’t know how old she is but I wanna say mayb like 4-6 months old she had been fine she would eat just fine but here recently she stopped eating she still active she plays with the other dog I have (great Pyrenees) and chases the cars/trucks that pass by and barks at them but she won’t eat and she was a good eater..... wat y’all think might b wrong with her

In advance thank you

Jewel`s Photos

Kinda curious, how long have you had this pup? Because there is quite a big difference between a 4 month old and a 6 month old pyr pup.

A 6 month old or younger pup should be eating reasonably consistently because they are growing so fast. If she's not eating, a vet visit may be in order.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

Is your girl teething? My Sebastian started teething right before he reached four months old, and was miserable the whole time.

Some Pyrs are simply picky eaters. When Sebastian decided that I am the worst for making him eat dog food every day, I will see if he is still willing to eat treats. 99.9% of the time he is. In the off chance that he won’t eat treats, I take him to the vet to make sure there’s nothing wrong.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Yes I understand it’s crazy tho 1 day she was eating just fine and the next she wasn’t but she will eat the treats but not the food if she is teething like u mention my other GP never went threw a teething face or if he did I did c it.... and wat I feed them is the Purina pro plan large breed (puppy)

Puppy (New Member)

Former Great Pyrenees Owner

Hi there, I gave food to my dog, I see it in his bowl, but he won't eat it. I wasn't sure at first, but I can't give him more. I tried the whistle several times, to no avail.

What gives?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Veggto; 02-04-2019 at 09:24 PM.

cooltouch`s Photos

Okay, since this thread is not that stale, I thought I'd add to it.

Charlie is about 9 and a half months old. He had a consistent appetite until about two months ago, at which time he just seemed to lose interest in eating. We feed him a combination of the 15 oz size can (I think that's right -- it's the smaller one, not the big one) and Costco's Kirkwood Signature dry puppy food.

When he first started showing a slacking off in appetite, I commented on it here and it was recommended that we change our feeding schedule. At the time, we were feeding him 3 times a day and were mixing a half can with about a cup of the dry food that had been moistened. The moistening thing was a habit that we got into from when he was quite young. So anyway, it was recommended that we switch his feeding schedule to twice a day. So we started feeding him a can in the morning and a can in the evening, but we no longer mixed it with the dry food. This seemed to help at first. He definitely seemed hungrier at his new mealtimes and his appetite had improved. But this didn't last.

These days, he seems to be a more consistent eater of the dry food than the canned food. At times, I will even forego the canned food entirely. When I do this, sometimes he will let me know if he wants some canned food. He will reach into the box where it's kept and dig a can out with his teeth. This is usually a pretty good indicator that he's ready for some food out of a can. But he doesn't do this with any sort of consistency.

This past week, we've probably tossed out as much canned food as he's eaten. I hate the waste, but what are you gonna do? Our cats won't touch it. They've been so thoroughly indoctrinated into eating cat food that, if it doesn't come out of a can with gravy or sauce as part of its makeup, they won't even recognize it as food! So anyway, I'm tossing out a lot of Charlie's canned food, most of which is Pedigree, which I feel is pretty good stuff, really. I mean, when I open a can, it smells like people food to me. We also feed him Alpo, but honestly I think Pedigree is better quality.

Charlie is pretty consistent with his dry food, typically eating 3 to 4 cups a day. This is what we feed him:

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100354281.html

Perhaps I'm worried over nothing? Charlie is in good spirits, he's energetic, his body mass appears to be on target. He's lean and strong. We haven't weighed him lately, but my guess is he's probably right around 90 pounds now.

So, what should I watch out for, moving forward? And any recommendations regarding getting him to eat more consistently?
    Best,
    Michael