Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Question Recommendation for a brand of puppy food?

Im very excited to welcome Wilma, a 7-month Great Pyrenees, into my home tomorrow (!). Shes a rescue who has been most recently boarded in Kentucky. Spoke to the kennel owner who has been feeding Wilma Pedigree puppy dry food. Any recommendations on whether to switch her (slowly) to a better, more nutritious brand for large-breed puppies? Thanks.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Allison & Wilma!!!

and thank you for giving this girl a second chance at a happy & secure home....

my thoughts....at 7 months old, I would switch her to an adult food that you like & can afford...and if you don't want to switch to an adult food, then yes...I agree with you...get her on a large breed puppy kibble as soon as you are able to!

keep us informed on how things go with her!

Jewel`s Photos

We're excited for you!! Hope you'll post pics once Wilma's home!

Here is a thread with articles from professionals on giant breed puppy nutrition:
    http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...ht=giant+breed

There are many kibble choices out there. But for really good value for the money, if you are a Costco member, the Kirkland brand kibbles are great value as they are quality kibbles. The adult formulas are fine for giant breed pups, both the line with grains and the grainless. If you use Chewy, the Chewy's brand American Journey is also good value. With American Journey the adult or all life stage formulas are fine for giant breed pups.

Ren's breeder feeds the Kirkland adult formula food, the regular formula. I fed him that for 2 months after we got him at 8 weeks. Then I fed him American Journey. Then I also fed Castor & Pollux adult formula which has acceptable calcium/phosphorus levels.

I felt more comfortable about not to be so concerned about calcium/phosphorus ratio when Ren turned a year old. Ren is now 2 yrs old. I rotate among different kibble brands. He's doing very well with Instinct Be Natural which has grains. He's also done well with Merrick grain-free puppy food with sweet potatoes. He can also do Lotus chicken formula. Ren did not do well with Orijen or Acana. Orijen & Acana are high quality stuff but not all dogs do well on it. My prior two fared very well with Orijen.