Thread: dogs playing

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default dogs playing

I wanted to share this video for those who have helped us. We adopted a Pyrenees, Karakachan, Maremma Mix and he has issues attacking our black lab/German shep mix. He still will attack at times and sometimes playing will get too rough and turn to attack for him but last night they played for a good 10 minutes! It was cute so I grabbed my husband's cell phone and took a video. Thought you all would enjoy it. We have considered giving him up but we continue to work with him. He wasn't socialized with other dogs and has huge guardian instincts to protect our children from our other dog, but they truely are mostly great buddies. Everytime we go outside they both get down in play bow mode.
    Sometimes watching we aren't sure where it will go but we only allow play when we are right there to break it up if needed. We run a really particular routine for them and evenings are the only time they are allowed to play inside. During the day I've been allowing him to be inside the fence with the poultry and he is enjoying that. He's real good with them. It's given him a job of protecting us by keeping a watch on our home, the road, and chickens.

https://youtu.be/uzpewtjp9E0

Thanks everyone! I'm not sure what I would have done without your guidance and support.

Road Dawg

Aww...love it!!

Jewel`s Photos

Love love the body language. You guys have done such good work with this boy!!

I’ve wondered whether he was taken from his litter at too early age because his issues might suggest an inability to deal with frustration or stressful situation. Puppies learn a lot of social skills from interactions with littermates.

Continue to send positive energy to you whatever you guys decide with him. I know whatever decision made will be one made with lots of thoughts and best interest of all in mind.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I needed this today! Thank you for sharing such wonderful news!

Jewel may be on to something with frustration. Sebastian and his littermate were surrendered to his rescue at somewhere between 5 and 7 weeks old. Unfortunately, it was discovered during transport that all of the puppies were sick, and only Sebastian and one littermate survived. He missed out on quite a bit of learning how to deal with frustration during that time, and his inability to respond to frustration appropriately has been a pretty constant theme throughout our time together. I have worked on redirecting him when he gets frustrated, and have made a remarkable amount of progress, but he sometimes still has issues.

I am absolutely thrilled that your boys have made this much progress in such a short amount of time!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Thank you!
    I did contact his old owner so if she shares any information of how old he was, I will let you know if she responds.

He’s a pretty fearful dog. We went to get him vaccines at a vaccine clinic and he made himself as smal as possible. When he’s in a new environment he slinks along the ground and won’t stand tall at all. He’s very jumpy and scared. He did really well considering a dog fight happened in line, and all the dogs started barking. He just sat there. The lady left her tiny 10 pound dog sniff him, then she left her dog sniff the dog behind her and that’s when it was attacked. I felt so badly for her. The owner didn’t even apologize. Thankfully the store owners are great, it was at a privately owned pet store where we buy food at. They stepped and asked him to leave the line and they held his spot. I was thankful Thor behaved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58B09D8E-AA45-4A97-A10A-BF48546B8E2B.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	10006

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84E61402-6AF6-4D7C-9CA6-BF4C295E3231.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	10007

We got a little snow and he loves snow! I love when he stands tall and is on guard.