Hybrid View

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Separation issue?

So,
    I have a 3 month old week namedCharming, and we have had him for about three weeks now. The problem is that my spouse and I are stationed apart. I went back to my duty station, and he stayed with my husband. Today was his first day without us together, and my husband said he whined all night and continuously through the day. I'm curious if it's the change with his humans or if it's just a phase. I'm also worried with going back to work Charming will be even more terrified staying his crate .

Jewel`s Photos

The whining could be just an adjustment period and he'll be fine, or it may be separation anxiety. Have you been working with leaving him in his crate during the last 3 weeks? That is the only way to find out whether he has separation anxiety.

My Ren was fine from 8 weeks when we got him to about 4 months old being home by himself. Then he decided to have separation anxiety. It took 6 months to teach him to stay home alone. He went to daycare everyday for those 6 months.

Puppy (New Member)

Well we have tried slowly leaving him alone at least an hour in his crate but the last time we left him in this crate he was shaking and whining for an hour after we took him out, that's the most of him being alone because of us being on leave. The puppy trainer said that anxiety spray should help but I'm still sketchy with it not being enough and I dont want him to clam up.

Jewel`s Photos

The anxiety spray may or may not help but it certainly doesn't hurt at all to try it. If it works you would be very glad you tried it. There is no other way to work with the puppy except to leave him alone, short duration at first. Leave the radio or TV on for him when you leave. Don't make a big fuss of leaving.