Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Resource guarding?/cat chasing

Hello all. My fiancé and I adopted a 3 yr old neutered male Pyre last week. He is very loving, stubborn and beautiful.
    We have 3 senior cats and one chihuahua as well. I have noticed from the start that his eyes seem challenging though my fiancé says he is just unsure and scared.

The last 3 days he has barked/lunged at the cats for being near a bone (that he doesn’t chew), laying on the living room floor, and trying to get a drink from the water bowl. The cats are now hiding out, and the chihuahua who is usually outgoing and somewhat dominant is being reclusive. The chi and cats coexist nicely as long as the cats don’t scratch the furniture. The household is very upset. When we reprimand him telling him no and to go lie down he gives me the eye and resists. I do not yell but am firm.

I have raised herd dogs and labs over the yrs, but never had issues like this. Ive always had pups and know that adult adoption can be rough. My fiancé however is not built for the trials of a puppy.

My fiancé always wanted a big fluffy dog and now I don’t think we are equipped for this 3 yr old with his issues.

Any advice?

Puppy (New Member)

Update: my fiancé was holding the cat next to her on the couch. We saw him eying the cat and told him no but then he lunged at him. I had to put my leg up between them as he didn’t back off when told no. We both stood up and i pushed him away.
    So that said Im thinking its more of a jealousy of the cat (who is my fiancé’s baby) than resource guarding because each time it has happened it has been the same cat.
    The dog bonded very quickly to my fiancé, which she wanted, but didn’t we didn’t think he would be like this towards the cat.

We have contacted his previous owner. She says she is a loss to this behavior and can’t help us. As of now she will not take him back and says she thinks the Humane Society is open on Sunday! How heartless! When she handed him over to us she cried.. I judged wrong.

So, now to figure out what to do. He is a sweet dog but we are not equipped for this.

Pjg8r`s Photos

Yes your new boy is resource guarding. He’s guarding toys, and he’s guarding your fiancé. It sounds as though his previous owner may have been less than forthcoming with you if she will not take him back. There may be great pyr rescues in your area if that is the route you decide to go. They can be a tremendous resource for helping with this behavior. My experience with this breed is they are generally very tolerant of cats and small animals. Did he live with other animals in his prior home? If you decide to try and work with this boy a behaviorist familiar with live stock guardian breeds is critical. They are not just large fluffy dogs, they have specific instincts that are in their DNA. Some genetic lines make wonderful pets. Some come from the working side and are much more suspicious of change.

Puppy (New Member)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F58FA38-9BEF-4FF6-BAA2-A9B2CC2355F4.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	9993Thank you for replying. We heard as well they are good with other pets. He live with a small York in she said he played with. Though now she tells us she always put down an extra bowl. We thought it was just a feeding time issue but apparently not. I raised labs and know to make them sit/wait/etc. and he actually is fine with humans in charge of the food.

The main issue I have is that my fiancé wants a dog that is attached to her..but I feel this individual attaches too much. As a working guard/herd dog its his instinct. I cant really blame his genetics but perhaps he would do better guarding sheep from predators than people from cats/neighbors and the like. She really needs a companion not a guard dog.

We both feel bad,as he is a sweetheart, but the right fit and safety is key to a happy home. We have contacted a local Pyre rescue, but they seem to be full up and only have kennels, no fosters. I am unsure if that would be good for him psychologically. We are very willing to find him a home with someone who works and knows the breed. We are not looking to make any money off of him but only do what is best for him.

What did not help this boy was that his owner never took him anywhere. He was very scared the first time we walked him about petsmart. He got better each day and enjoyed the attention from familiar workers there. His groomer said he was a breeze and would love to groom him again. His previous home was a single mom of a grown girl that is going off to college and neither were frequently home.

As I’m writing this he is sitting at my feet snoring.
    Cheers

I’m sorry you are having issue!

We adopted a pyr mix in the summer and he had severe resource guarding at first. You haven’t had him long so it could change unless it was an issue at the one home. I will tell you ours attacked our dog the first time he saw him. He’s attacked him many many times since. We were going to rehome him but continue to try. For him anything food related causes an attack, sometimes children crying and sometimes we aren’t sure. . I think he’s trying to protect the children in a way but at the same time is scared of the crying.

He ignored our kitten at first but now he chases her to try to play. We are trying to put a stop to it.

I contacted a lot of rescues and the only one that answered was the national pyr rescue. They have a surrender number you could call.

When you say he lunged do you think he wanted to attack? Our pyr gets a playful look on his face when he chases our cat. I know he’s never hurt her. But the look he gives before an attack is completely different.

We have a lab mix and they are 2 completely dogs but the Pyr has learned a lot. He’s even chasing and bringing back a ball down the hall now.

It took a LONG time for ours to open up to us. His personality is just now starting to shine. You’ve only had yours a week? At 1 week along ours growled at me over lots of things and was scared of everything.
    We had never left his home either so everything was new and scary and hadn’t met any other dogs.

Puppy (New Member)

Hi...I have a cat and a Pyr ...today they cuddled together because they are both fluffy...I also heard the cat hiss at the Pyr, who chased the cat ...

My Pyr loves cat food..so, I feed the cat at night where the Pyr can not get the cat food...I also feed the Pyr in her space and ...I used to spoil her too much...sometimes, I am still guilty...but I do not feed her with us anymore...we eat dinner and she only eats at bedtime and again in the morning...she can get treats at lunch for tricks...Pyrs do not eat that much and get really naughty if overfed....for awhile I only fed her mouthfuls by hand...I don't feed her meals with us...it was making her really naughty...she now gets fed to go to sleep...she behaves better for it...also...don't yell...give time outs...I know it is crazy, but I had a breakthrough watching that nanny show after the dog whisperer didn't work ! also...Jackson galaxy has great advice for pyrs...he just calls them cats...

you might be equipped: you thinking you might not be, makes me think that you are...

i find explaining everything to her like she is a child helps...just because they grumble doesn't mean they are mad...

Puppy (New Member)

also...i just don't give my pyr bones or raw...she does not behave with them but is fine without.