Puppy (New Member) Scout's new Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Yikes! My new boy has night time anxiety

We are the new family for Scouty, age 2 yrs. I thought he would be a good pal for our four year old very laid back pyr mix and that is working well. Scouty came from the SLC suburbs and we are in the super rural-his family just couldn't keep him. No clue about his parents as he sadly came from a pet store. Wonderful sweet guy-still a pup of course. No other problems except he seems to have a couple of anxiety attack triggers. Riding in the car is very upsetting-his first family said he was claustrophobic-and night time is a real challenge. Ten pm comes and he begins to shake and whine as he zooms from view to view checking for predators. Wow. He is possessed by his genetics I guess and is inconsolable. Gradually, as we walk with him, telling him good job and it's all OK out there, he begins to calm. Four to five hours later, after dozens of ups and down, he finally stops shaking and whining and settles to sleep. This is so painful to watch and he seems equally confused. Will this get better? Can we coax him away from his natural nocturnal tendencies? Pheremones? Hemp pills? Please share your experiences and solutions. Such a super big baby!

Hello,
    How long have you had this guy?

Our pyr mix who is mixed with multiple lgd dogs had a lot of night time anxiety at first. We found a crate was helpful for him to go in. He would go in and hide. Nothing would get him out. Any noise or even an object would set him into fear. But if yours doesn't like small spaces a crate may have the opposite affect.

But if he's new to your home there's a big adjustment. Did you mean he had nighttime anxiety there at his old home?

I've wondered about CBD oil. Our new guy doesn't like children crying. That's a stressor for him. For him that causes him to attack our other dog.

It does take awhile to figure things out and for real personalities to come through.

Consulting a behaviorist may help. If this has been an issue from the start even at old owners. Being in the country is also a lot different than town. That could take awhile to adjust too.

I'm pretty new to the boards so hopefully someone else will have some good advice.

Congrats on your new guy!

Scouty has been with us just over a month and thanks for you words of encouragement! We have used crates with our Bernese in the distant past with great success, but I didn't get one for Scouty as they mentioned the tight spaces phobia, he wasn't crated as a pup-and he apparently had a bad experience in a crate with a groomer at some point.
    A big mistake on my part was not asking enough questions of his first family-and I think they were hesitant to tell all for fear we would change our minds!
    New home is a BIG adjustment for sure-his first home was a cute suburban small windowed house and we are modern with huge expanses of glass. He has calmed alot about the space and seems to be happy to be with us-so that's terrific. Our last hurdle is pulling in our fence line so he can run free in the day. Right now we have sketchy fencing of 12 acres, so he can't run around safely under my watchful eye. More exercise is always better so I definitely need to get that under way.
    I have some cbd drops on the way so I will start very small and give you a full report. I have tried a couple of medications from our vet, but nothing seems to have had any good effect.
    I like your behaviorist suggestion as well. I will see what I can find closer to Salt Lake City. We only just got a vet here last year!
    Thanks again so much for responding-it always helps to bounce ideas around.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

My dog might be experiencing something similar and I'm on the verge of contacting a good behaviorist in my area.

Pippa has been having episodes where she refuses to go for a walk at night. She loves her walks in the morning and mid afternoon, but it's getting harder and harder to make her walk when it's dark out. She just won't move and I've tried everything. The only place she would go at night is the back yard. So, for the past couple of weeks she just goes potty in the yard before bed time and she does it very quickly. Thankfully she hasn't had any accidents, but she is making me worried. When I say "Pippa you wanna for a walk" at 7am and 5pm, she gets so excited and runs to the door. However, the same command at 10pm has a much different effect. She doesn't move and hides. So, I end up opening the side door so she can go in the yard.

The only explanation to this behavior could be that in late November, when we were walking at night, we encountered a dog that barked at us and Pippa got really scared and stopped moving. She laid down and didn't want to move, so I took her in my arms and we went home.

Ugh, hopefully this is just a phase and she understands that walking at night is safe. But I'm not sure what to do, that is why I'm tempted to contact a behaviorist.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Scout & family...and thank you for giving this boy a second chance for a forever home...

I am wondering, could you put him in one room...maybe your bedroom to start off with, keep a radio or television on for him so that he doesn't get a chance to hear anything that might get him anxious....also, if you have a closet, maybe keep that open, or a bathroom attached to your bedroom....make sure shades are down (if you have them) don't give him a chance to "keep watch" & get his anxiety level back up...and yes, I agree with you...more exercise the better!!!

Our Holly was a very anxious girl, but her anxiety was all day long, our solution was fluoxetine....it helped calm her so that she could focus on us, she still was not a very social girl, rather not be around people, she was never aggressive and eventually would decide which humans she trusted (after many visits!!)....she was on it until the day she passed over the bridge at age 10

Thanks so much to all of you for all your encouragement. It is no fun when they get scared by something and won't go out-we had a mutt guy once who was afraid of the moon! I bet if you wait it out, time will come when she will head out again at 10-especially if a favorite person or bit of good excitement is outside. So nice you have the yard option-can you go out to walk through the yard? That might work.

I did give a little try to keeping Scouty in the bedroom, but his plan seemed to involve going from bedroom to living room and back, so it was upsetting. We opened the door finally and he was happier.

Meanwhile, on the 7th of Jan, the CBD drops arrived as well as some Stress Free Calmplex from the Springtime Co. We have always given our big dogs Fresh Factors from the same Co for general hip health-holistic supplements really. We began with 10 drops of 250 mg CBD 3X a day (recommended dose) and 3 Stress Free 2X a day (recommended). Scouty seemed a bit more relaxed in general when night came, but went into a somewhat abbreviated whining/window checking along with the panting and shaking. He took 20 min naps-then up whining and shaking. This until 3 am at which time he abruptly stops and goes to sleep until 7-7:30 am.

I had to leave for a night on the 9th. My husband who is not quite as empathetic as I am-this is good-really didn't want to stay up late-so when Scouty came in at 10 after last walk, he got one of those training clickers out of a drawer (I have never done clicker training, we just had one) and when Scouty got up to whine at the door he clicked and gently told him to lie down-and "good dog" when he did. He did this for just a bit and went to bed at 11! When I came home on the 10th, I was excited to just stay out of it and watch him work! No worries-the clicker gets Scouty's attention, and after a few ups and downs, he settles comfortably.

Is it the CBD drops? Stress Free tabs? Bill's resonant voice? I don't know-but life is better here now! Thank you all-next mission is learning to like riding in the car. Happy 2019 to big white dogs everywhere!

Jewel`s Photos

So glad that you found a way to work with Scout! While you might never figure out whether it was the CBD, the clicker, or the free tabs, but whatever it was, or a combination thereof, you guys spent the effort to work with Scout and that is all that matters!