Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Will he be white?

New to the forum...meet Burr...we got him at 8 weeks old, he is now 9.5 weeks old. He doesn’t have papers, but his mom and “supposed” dad were on site and both appeared to be healthy “working” solid white Great Pyrenees. The owner said this was the first litter that she had where some of the pups had badger markings. Two females were solid white, two had facial badger markings and the two males had the facial badger markings along with darker greyish body markings. I was just curious if this is normal and if it’s possible that they may have had a different dad? It doesn’t really matter, we love him and don’t plan to do any breeding. Also I see this is a common question but I am going to ask anyway. He weighed 14.4 lbs at 8 weeks and now at 9.5 he was at 18.8 lbs. does that seem normal? We will be taking him on 1/3 for his next vet visit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4D07D074-D022-4EBF-9368-935AA466546C.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	9964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE55E3B8-8CDA-456E-A3BA-D89DE41C7FDB.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	9963

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think the gray color will stay. He is very cute!

The fact that the litter is so diverse in color is making me think that even though both parents are solid white, one of them or both of them have non GP blood. A dog can look GP to you but still carry some "non-GP genes". Also, something to keep in mind is that sometimes, certain phenotypic features can skip generations. When you cross a 100% GP with, let's say, a 75% GP/25% Anatolian that looks like a GP, you'll have some puppies that will have Anatolian genes that codify for proteins that will result in Anatolian breed features (color, marking, shape of the tail, etc..). How much of a breed is expressed in each puppy is aleatory and will determine their appearance.

The only way to find out is to run a DNA test.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you for the response. Very informative. I may try to get a DNA test just to see what he is exactly. Like I said we love him all the same, I just hope he gets really big. We have always had large dogs and I am hoping he won’t be any different. He was really easy to crate train. Potty training has been a bit of a struggle. He didn’t have any accidents yesterday but has had three today. It’s hit or miss right now. I guess we will keep working.

Jewel`s Photos

Congrats!!!

Burr looks like he may have anatolian in him. The dark masking around his snout is pretty common for pyr/anatolian crosses. His grayish coloring may turn a little lighter once he loses his puppy fluff. But I am inclined to guess that he will not turn white. Pyr pups are born primarily white. The coloring is usually badger markings on the head/face, and patches of color over their body. The breed standard calls for no more than 30% coloring - thus they don't have the overall color all over their body.

For example, my Ren has heavy badger markings. But other than his head, he has only one other patch of color about the size of a hand at the end of his back where it meets the tail. Because of his badger marking people that know LGDs ask if he's part anatolian, others ask if he's a saint bernard
    Ren at about 9 weeks:

Name:	IMG_3553.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	9965

edit to add: making mental note to link to this thread for Mikel's explanation of coat coloring - really informative explanation

Puppy (New Member)

He's super adorable! Our Marshall has similar colouring. As far as I know, his mom is 75% Great Pyrenees/25% Anatolian, and his dad is some mix of Great Pyrenees/Australian Shepherd. When I got him, they said that a puppy with a similar colouring from their previous litter became white when they grew up. From that, I guess it's possible that Burr could become white in the future as well.

Name:	2018-12-25 14.15.24.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	9967

Road Dawg

Hello!

Just wanted to say how adorable Burr is. I would agree that somewhere down the line there was a mix breeding. Possibly with another guardian breed.

My dog Judge is mostly pyr but has a great grand parent on his sires side that was a Turkish Kangal (similar to Anatolian Shepherd). At 7 Weeks he was a brown and white color with black guard hairs sticking out. Over time his color faded and now at almost 2 he is a honey & white color. I have attached photos at the bottom to show you color progression.

Name:	CF32154D-A571-42A3-B2AD-44CD8CA53396.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	9994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4A79C4B0-BA19-4632-967A-5CB7DB54F1E5.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	9995