Thread: Stealing

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Stealing

Moo loves my socks and paperwork from my computer room. He'll wait until I'm not looking and steal something and go to the living room to chew it. He always lets me take it back from him though sometimes he want's turn it into play.....is this the start of resource guarding? Just curious.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    He always lets me take it back from him though sometimes he want's turn it into play.....is this the start of resource guarding?
    Resource guarding is a very distinct behavior, a distinctly unfriendly behavior. If Mooie is inviting you to play the keep away game, he's not actually guarding it, rather he's focused on getting you to play with him. A RG dog would be laser focused on keeping that object at all costs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Thanks, I kind of feel like that too. He's really turning into a play monster. His favorite things just happen to include a lot of non-chew toy items. He tried to drag my bathrobe out of the closet into the living room. I really had to laugh at that one.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Thanks, I kind of feel like that too. He's really turning into a play monster. His favorite things just happen to include a lot of non-chew toy items. He tried to drag my bathrobe out of the closet into the living room. I really had to laugh at that one.
    We had a lot of that with Max when he was smaller. His favorite was flip flops, but he also tried to steal socks and robes right off of people who were wearing them! We always took the thing away quietly and gave him a toy, then praised him for playing with the toy. Or offer the new thing and then when he drops the stolen item, pick it up stealthily. I was sort of amazed at how well this worked for Max, he is ridiculously good at sticking to his toys only now, my kids forget and leave all sorts of random things out and he will carefully go get his toys from among their things when he wants to chew something.