Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Couch or no couch

So Mooey has decided that the couch is a great place to sit. He'll go up on it at my dads and my place. When I'm not around he knows he can get away with it. When I am around he'll try but will get down when he sees me or sort of give a "come on" look until I point to the ground.

Truth is I kinda like the idea of him being up there to snuggle up with but I'm not sure whether I'd be creating other problems. Any thoughts on you that have couch surfers?

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Max takes up 2 people's worth of couch. Also, I want to be able to sit on my couch before leaving for work without covering my rear in white fur. So he is allowed on the bed, but not the couch. Now I just need to train my husband, because he is a sucker for puppy eyes.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    When I am around he'll try but will get down when he sees me or sort of give a "come on" look until I point to the ground.
    The key is to be able to tell them to make room when you ask. The problems are with the dogs that the owners have no control over. That's when the dog can become possessive over couch spot. If you don't mind Mooie being up on the couch, then teach him that he can be on it when you invite him to. You can continue to do what you are doing to teach him he's not allowed to be on the couch when he decides. It's only ok when you ask him to.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E54BCAC0-F5C9-474E-A0EC-2BB9C5A99A9F.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	9957

My two are able to enjoy the couch with no problems except that I have to shampoo the upholstery every so often. Sebastian is naturally respectful of “my spot”, mostly because he usually thinks that I have cooties. Chester is a notorious spot stealer, so I have taught him to scoot over when I ask him to “scoot scoot”.

Name:	16B39F5F-0312-491D-ACD1-FAC64ABAD713.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	9958

My two are allowed on the bed, too, but Sebastian rarely gets up there if I am in bed (again, because of the cooties).

Whatever works best for you and Mooey is the right choice!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I am with Jewel & SebastiansMom....if it's okay for you, then teach Mooie that he has to ask politely to join you up on the couch....right now I'm having trouble teaching my husband how to help me teach the new puppy this exact behavior....hubby is failing miserably! Puppy is sort of getting it, but understandably confused...

All of my Pyrs have had different feelings towards being on the couch...our first female loved to sit on the couch with hubby & put her head in his lap...first male would like to get up on the couch at night when we weren't there to bother him...second female preferred to lay on her bed & be alone, Rudy prefers to be outside...couch isn't his "thing"
    they all liked the closeness when they were puppies...but soon cuddling on the couch became too warm...so Mooie may change his mind about the couch...but teaching manners is never a bad thing!

Name:	sleeping Rudy.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	9962

this was Rudy just around a year old...now at 6 he's too "mature" to cuddle with Mom!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Having Pippa lay by me on the couch is my favorite thing. If I'm sitting she sits next to me so our heads are at the same level. She can sit like that for a long time... especially if I use my right had to pet her while I use the other one to hold a book when I'm reading.

If I'm laying down, she lays down parallel to me and puts her head on my chest. I could spend hours...

We choose not to allow it with our new guy only because he has a lot of issues going on. His previous owners children allowed him full access of beds and couches. However the first time he jumped on and I asked him to get off he didn't and ended up with a growl. So after reading things I felt it best not to let it continue even though I would enjoy that. The couch he can't be on because if he's on then the other dog wants on and that's the entire couch! He's a big cuddle bug so normally I sit on the floor and he lays on my lap.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

I think I'll attempt to teach him to ask or at least continue to be good with making space for people. Last night I came into my dads living room and moo was sitting with his head on my dads arm. It was very touching. He's so gentle and patient with my father. And I kinda like mushing up with him so I guess hopefully I can get him to ask. I do think he'll continue to be ok with making space for people at least.

Name:	20181230_113146.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	9968

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Mark...that is a very heart warming photo....such a gentle boy

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    moo was sitting with his head on my dads arm. It was very touching.
    Indeed, what a sweet pic!! For that I'd say yes to letting Moo on the couch!!