Thread: Weight Check

Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Weight Check

Is 75 lbs a good weight for a Just over one year old male, non neutrered Great Pyreneese

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Gadric View Post
    Is 75 lbs a good weight for a Just over one year old male, non neutrered Great Pyreneese
    Ah, you see, that's a tough question to answer. Pyrs vary in sizes, and by that I mean size of bone structure and general build. 75 lbs may be the perfect weight for your boy's structure. We don't know him so we can't really comment on that. I can tell you that my prior female Bijou was 26" tall and weighed 77 lbs at maturity. Our friend's female is about the same height and approximate same bone size and she weighs 130 lbs -- she's way overweight. So the simple number on the scale by itself is pretty much useless to gauge whether it's a good, bad, or indifferent, weight for the particular dog.

If you are asking whether 75 lbs is big or small in the range of pyr sizes, assuming your dog is in good body condition at 75 lbs, I can say that it is on the smaller end for males. My Ren is not a big male. He hit 80 lbs at 10 months and currently at just over 2 yrs old, he's kept at a thin 85 lbs. He's about 28" at the withers. I prefer to keep my dogs a bit on the bony side.

Hello
    I'm trying to figure.out the same thing and agree to what Jewel said. Our boy is a mix of 3 lgd breeds and he is 77 pounds at 16 months. We saw another great Pyrenees this past weekend who was much smaller than our boy but weighed 120lbs. Her vet told her she needed to gain weight and thus landed at her current 120lbs. So there really seems to be no set answer.