Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Smile Advice for Jumping and dog parks

Hello! My husband and I just rescued a 10 month old named Gracie. The first couple of days she was shy which we expected. Now Gracie is being herself and becoming more playful. When I first started taking her out another dog would come up and she was very stoic and just stood there, now that she is more comfortable (I believe that’s why) she wants to run over to them and is jumping (which I understand since she is still a pup). In the beginning I was thinking of taking her to a dog park, thinking about about how she first responded to the dog I figured she would do well. But now I’m not sure? Any advice on how to train her to not go crazy when she sees other dogs? Also would it be a good idea to take her to a dog park? Thanks!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

My dog had the EXACT problem when she was right around that age. She was very well socialized with other dogs and people...maybe a little too friendly. What I did was socialized her with dogs I know very well (neighbor or friend's dogs) or at pet stores at first because dog parks are a lot more unpredictable because it is off leash. Once you know she is very comfortable around other dogs, I would take her. I am not against dog parks because i know my dogs are very friendly and do not engage or initiate conflicts.

Jumping up: The best way to train this is to make them sit whenever someone approaches. I hope your dog is food motivated. Mine will dance for food lol. So this is how I taught her to not jump up to kiss people in the face. Remember, it wont be like a switch from jumping to no jumping. It would be LESS jumping and more of a process.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    My dog had the EXACT problem when she was right around that age.
    hehehe, I was hoping you would chime in since I know you put in a lot of effort working with Kit

I agree with snow on testing Gracie with other dogs in places where you know people are more likely to bring friendly dogs to before you take her to the dog park.

The jumping thing... I will defer to snow on that one too. Ren went through a short period where he was really bad about jumping on people. Then it got better not with me really doing a whole lot. He is now 2 and he doesn't do it too much anymore.

Thanks, very usefull advices....I have the same problem with my boy.
    Last edited by Usalotato; 01-07-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Gmg18 View Post
    Hello! My husband and I just rescued a 10 month old named Gracie. The first couple of days she was shy which we expected. Now Gracie is being herself and becoming more playful. When I first started taking her out another dog would come up and she was very stoic and just stood there, now that she is more comfortable (I believe that’s why) she wants to run over to them and is jumping (which I understand since she is still a pup). In the beginning I was thinking of taking her to a dog park, thinking about about how she first responded to the dog I figured she would do well. But now I’m not sure? Any advice on how to train her to not go crazy when she sees other dogs? Also would it be a good idea to take her to a dog park? Thanks!
    Hi. I am sort of new to posting..but am wanting to follow this...my girl pyr Skye who is 2, is a delight...I am not at all new to dogs but she is the first Pyr I met, outside of her parents who are wonderfully bred Pyrs through all generations...so, I did do research, and spent time with her parents, and have been a confident dogsitter for years with references.. but this is by far my first Pyr. She does ( by far )more verbal (and sign) commands than any dog I have ever met...she also needs the most attention...she does not listen because she has to but because she understands...she knows when she is going to the vet and there is no tricking her...she also shows keen gentleness for the very young and elderly but might rough house a teen or adult... roughhousing is great when you know that is what she is doing...and that is what she is doing...

Skye has done lovely at dog parks...but I still am concerned with the human aspect (she is sooo big)...i have seen people (outside of dogparks, while walking her on leads) try to pounce on her because she looks like she is expecting a strange persons hug at all times...(a full grown man whom I asked not to hug her, told me not to be rude when she then barked at him when he quite scared me by then jumping out from behind a park bathroom and tried to hug her after me telling him not to, and changing my direction!)

Also, today, she was being very playful, and was trying to rough me up...there was no fear involved, but I also realise I am used to her...she does like to play. I don't want to stop this, but don't know if she would get too rough at a dog park when I am not intending it...

There has never been any trouble, but I have seen people look at her with fear when she lets out her sizeful roaring gruff baritone bark...she looks like she couldn't possibly have that noise...
    it is not a yappy sound at all...but Skye has many friend in the dog world, especially those who at first tried to dominate her (she wasn't and really isn't dominatable)

as an aside to my story, I read a news story about a Pyr at an ice cream shop who was tripped on by a child and the Pyr startled and knocked him over. The child was scraped and the dog was almost euthanized...I am so thankful I came into the story after the dog wasn't....I have also taken my dog to outdoor ice cream shops (uneventfully) but now don't because...dogs do jump...when stepped on...

I love it when she wraps her arms around me and gives me a big squeeze...these dogs are amazing...almost like a species unto themselves... I don't know any advice other than common ownership and this experience and so also am looking for responses I am so happy there is the web to learn more, as my neighbor with a Pit can watch the dog whisperer, but I have gotten more from other Pyr owners...and still am learning!

I love dogsitting still, but know she is not in attack mode if she barks, people at a dogpark don't expect a dog of her strength...she is toning it down, but still acts like a puppy a lot...she is wonderful with other dogs though, and I want to take her back to the public dog park but am glad I so far haven't had any drama! She could have if she had gotten too playful...?

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by girlhug View Post
    but this is by far my first Pyr. She does ( by far )more verbal (and sign) commands than any dog I have ever met...she also needs the most attention...
    Wow, that is kind of unusual. My two girls understood things I said, they just chose when or whether to comply with what I asked. My pyr mix boy was very obedient, he listened well. But that was only because he was 1/2 retriever/aussie. His personality reflected mostly the non-pyr breeds in him. My current adolescent is pretty good overall. He doesn't demand attention incessantly, but he does follow me around when he's in the house. He does listen pretty well, and that continues to surprise me everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by girlhug View Post
    Skye has done lovely at dog parks...but I still am concerned with the human aspect (she is sooo big)
    I am little confused, are you saying she barks at people when they try to hug her? If people jump out of nowhere to hug her you can't blame her for reacting out of surprise. If people try to hug her even when you tell them not to, then it really is your job to take a firm stance, and be a bit rude if you have to. if you find people just don't listen to you, then you need to seriously consider avoiding those places with those rude people. Ultimately if she reacts badly to someone, alas, it's the dog that will be blamed.

It can be astounding how dumb people can be. One time at a restaurant patio I had just put down a plate of food for Ren to finish when this family with 4 young children came out of the restaurant and crowded around Ren without asking for permission. I understand they had been watching him from inside and saw how calm he was. It was incredibly dumb that the parents would be so reckless as to let their young children crowd a very large dog who had his head down in a plate of food. Ren doesn't have food aggression, but out of abundance of caution, I removed the plate. Ren was the one that suffered because he didn't understand why I took his food away.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

We are having a similar issue. Max is very calm and happy to meet new people on a leash. Yesterday he helped me pick up my daughter from a retreat and had 50 teens squealing and asking to pet him, he got several hugs (but these kids all knew to ask first) and he was clearly in heaven.

However, my 11yo son loves to play wrestle with Max like another puppy. My 19yo son's friend was sitting on the floor and she called Max over...and he cheerfully tackled her thinking she wanted to wrestle. Max is actually "gentle" when wrestling, seems to know people aren't as strong as dogs...but she was understandably alarmed to be tackled when he was standing calmly nearby seconds before. So now I have to figure out how to train my dog not to play wrestle.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I may have mentioned a time or two on here that Sebastian was a pretty high-energy puppy with pretty low impulse control. There may be an obscure passage talking about how his favorite game at the time was called Killed Mommy, and how it was waaaaaaaaaay more fun for him when it was played out in public. I’m pretty sure I mentioned at some point how any attempt I made to “correct” his jumping on me and pretending to maul me within an inch of my life just made him think that the game was even more fun, and how even the trainers we worked with were at a loss on how to stop it.

Then, he outgrew it. Sure, sometimes he gets wound up and give me the occasional “special hug” or five, but “Kill Mommy” is a thing of the past, as is his urge to greet new people face-to-face, as in him jumping up to get in their faces. He just doesn’t do it any more. He also doesn’t mouth me (or anyone else, for that matter), the way he used to, even when he is ready to PLAY!!!.

Max may physically be big, but on the inside, he is still a tiny baby puppy. Remember, these guys take a lot longer to mentally mature than a whole lot of other breeds.

I found it a lot easier to warn people that Sebastian *could* act like a giant, high-energy puppy with no impulse control, than it was to expect him not to. People who meet him now have a hard time believing that he was ever the furry maniac of the Sebastian stories of yore.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Mom to the Max View Post
    she was understandably alarmed to be tackled when he was standing calmly nearby seconds before. So now I have to figure out how to train my dog not to play wrestle.
    I had the same thought as SM. Max is still a puppy. Overall he's behaving beyond what you should expect from a puppy with human children while he's on leash. What happened with this girl was not something that should be blamed on the puppy. She was at YOUR house, sitting ON THE FLOOR and invited Max to her. Max didn't know that he wasn't allowed to play like he usually does with your son at HIS OWN HOME when he wasn't trying to hurt anyone. He has to have some place he can act like a puppy. It's not fair to him to think that if a human invites the attention that he should be punished for it. Indeed, it's your job to let your guests know that Max is still a pup and can act like a pup sometimes, especially in his own home.

My 2 yr old Red has been extensively socialized from 3 months on because I meant to train him to be a dog that we can take everywhere. He as been to many restaurants all over town and, not intentionally planned, ended up at 6th Street in Austin with us a few weeks back and did fine with the loud music and the crowd and the police on horse back. He's pretty rock solid generally. While Ren is mostly very well behaved out in public, he does play jump and romp with me at home. Occasionally when someone deliberately gets him riled up and egged him on to play, he would jump and try to play with the person like he does with me. I usually restrain him and just tell the person that he's still young and still has his puppy moments. The people that have riled him up to react that way have literally been 100% ok with his behavior because they knew they were getting the pup excited. So I've not felt bad about Ren reacting that way to those people that encouraged him to act that way.

Based on your description it sounds to me that Max is kind of the same way. He knows how to behave when he's on leash and when there are children around. But he's still a puppy and needs to have the chance to act like puppy sometimes without being blamed. As such, I think that guests to your home should be told before hand that, while Max is a really good puppy, he is still a PUPPY. So they should avoid engaging in conduct that might get the puppy excited to play, that is unless they want to play with Max that way. Max is still puppy and sometimes he will act like one. It isn't Max's fault. If the girl was surprised, it is your job to explain to her how puppies can be and how her actions caused the reaction she got.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

I appreciate the perspective, a lot! I never blamed Max at all, just myself. Because I haven't kept my 11yo from wrestling with Max. Our 6yo aussie died unexpectedly and left Max with no doggie playmate, so I really am not sure whether to allow the 11yo to play rough. He won't wrestle with random dogs at the dog park. 11yo and Max both want to wrestle, I have told 11yo to focus on Max's two other favorite games, tug and run around in the yard like idiots.

I told my 19yo that he needs to warn his friends that Max is a puppy. The friends have done several things dog-savvy people don't do that have gotten Max over-excited. 19yo complained to me a couple of weeks ago that Max was jumping on his friends and putting his mouth on them...but when I observed their behavior, friends were lifting their hands to their shoulders and calling Max...so basically asking him to jump up. And they were squealing and calling his name excitedly the whole time they were over, so I asked 19yo to help his friends help us with those behaviors. But 19yo blames 11yo for Max jumping on his friend. I don't know if that's fair or not, another friend has a chihuahua the same age, and I think his reaction to an excited call from the floor would be the same...it's not Max's fault that he's 10x the chihuahua's size. Perhaps we just need a house rule that anyone who invites friends over is responsible for ensuring they know that if you call Max, you get a hundred-pound puppy at "oh boy, a friend" speed.