Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Planning on adopting a Great Pyrenees soon

Hello, I am new to this site and was looking for some advice. Iím looking into buying a Great Pyrenees some time within the next few months and was wondering if it is a good idea? I have a cat at home and my home doesnít have a big yard, but I am willing to take him/her on nice long walks every day and get at least an hour and a half of play every day. Iím also willing to take the time to train and socialize him properly. I have never owned a Great Pyrenees before, but I have experience with a German Shepard and a lab/pit. I know the breeds differ greatly, but I have been researching The Great Pyrenees breed for a few months and I feel like I can manage. I came to get advice from people who have had experience with this breed before and can give me any heads up or helpful advice. Thank you!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Hello and welcome. Yes, Pyrs are an entirely different breed. I am 73 and have been around dogs my entire life and owned my first at age 11. We were quail hunters and my dad always had English Setters and pointers. For my 11th birthday I got my very own English Setter puppy. This was 1956. English Setters were all I had and then in '78 an Irish Sett5er showed up at our house, no collar, etc and I had him 8 years. On his death, an Irish Setter puppy. When he was 9, my son got a golden retriever to train as a duck dog--'94. Five goldens were ours over the next 20 years. We adopted our first Pyr in 2014 after the death of our last golden, Honey, Sadly, this awesome dog (boind his entire life) died just 3 1/2 weeks after we got him. An unknown tumor on his spleen ruptured and n othing could be done. He was super smart and we loved him so much. A week later we adopted another 7 yer old Pyr and just lost him this past Tuesday (the 5th) to liver disease. We are still crying and missing him so much. A wonderful dog. Oh, we also adopted an 11 year old golden retriever in Feb. '15 and lost her Oct. '16 just before she turned 13.

I will say that Sir Moose, the love we just lost, was a bit different from mos. Pyrs . He came on first call unless he had a possum treat or in the woodpile. He barked by usually very little at night. he learned VERY fast, and he was a creature oif habit. Once I switched his water and food dishes as he was sloshing water on the end of the cabinet. He would not eat until I put them back they had always been. I have diabetes and taken an injection each night at bed time. After he was diagnosed with liver disease and refused to the hepatic food, I researched and cooked for him, even made his treat. Well, II would get two out of the bag (in fridge) each night when I took my injection. He knew when that fridge door was opened about 11:00, he was going to get his treats. They are very smart dogs , loyal and devoted. Both of ours loved people and tho we only had Shaggy such a short time and didnt' get to take him out to places, we took Sir Moose to Lowes, Tractor Supply, etc and he always gravitated to families with kids. Our yard isn't all that large, but hubby walked Sir Moose every day, weather permitting. Hope this helps.
    Jerry and Moose

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Doglover4579 View Post
    I have never owned a Great Pyrenees before, but I have experience with a German Shepard and a lab/pit. I know the breeds differ greatly, but I have been researching The Great Pyrenees breed for a few months and I feel like I can manage.
    Ah, quite honestly, your experience with the GSD & the lab/pit may prove not entirely all that helpful when dealing with a pyr... Don't get me wrong, I am in no way discouraging you from the breed. It's just that most people who think they've done a lot of research come to find out that they really didn't understand/appreciate/truly comprehend what they read in their research - they are THAT different.

If you've had a GSD, you probably has had some experience with shedding. Pyrs shed... a lot. They need regular grooming or they'll matt horribly. That's something you've not have to dealt with. They bark, some (many) of them bark a lot. They bark loud. So you will need to be honest about whether your neighbors would be tolerant of the barking.

Road Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by Doglover4579 View Post
    Hello, I am new to this site and was looking for some advice. I’m looking into buying a Great Pyrenees some time within the next few months and was wondering if it is a good idea? I have a cat at home and my home doesn’t have a big yard, but I am willing to take him/her on nice long walks every day and get at least an hour and a half of play every day. I’m also willing to take the time to train and socialize him properly. I have never owned a Great Pyrenees before, but I have experience with a German Shepard and a lab/pit. I know the breeds differ greatly, but I have been researching The Great Pyrenees breed for a few months and I feel like I can manage. I came to get advice from people who have had experience with this breed before and can give me any heads up or helpful advice. Thank you!
    I am 4-5 days into my first GP/Maremma mix pup. He's a little over 4 months. He's different than any other dog I've had and I actually haven't had a puppy in years. So far he is a mix of stubborn, clingy, needy, indifferent as well as super sweet and loving. I don't expect him to come when I call him but he usually will. He's never experienced life off the farm or out of his pen so everything is new and he needs a lot of socialization. This site has been a God send for me but it's a challenge. I will say he's for the most part very calm and loving. There is a lot of knowledge here so do your homework, search the forum and take the week off work when you bring him home(pup or adult). I'm really glad I did. Good luck!
    Last edited by MarkJ; Yesterday at 09:39 AM.