Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Default Sir Moose is home

I want to thank all of your for all your kind words. I know many of y ou have been thru this heartache. I wish it on nobody, but if we love dogs and get them and love them, eventually we go thru it.

Today was a grey, drizzling day and I got the call this morning that Sir Moose's ashes had been returned to the hospital her in our little town. As I went to get them I thought about how on days like this when it was to nasty for a walk, we would take him for a ride. We sometimes even when 5 miles to the nest town, then came home and drove around a couple of back streets her past the field of cows, the field of goats and his buddy the horse. I decided he needed that ride one last time. I put his beautiful wooden box containing his ashes and his paw print in clay(?) in the back seat as he road when alive and I drove just those back streets past the cows, goats and his buddy the horse. Then I drove to the lady's house who always watched for him and had treats for him. She said a last goodbye to him and she had tears. I suppose some would think me foolish for doing that, but it just seemed the last thing to do for him. I would h ave done this had he been alive.
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

What you did was beautiful and I personally would have done the same thing. Sir Moose is watching you and I'm sure he feels very proud of you and your husband.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

This made me cry all over again. What a beautiful way to honor such a beautiful, sweet boy.

Sir Moose made a lasting impact on many of us here. To say that he will be greatly missed is an understatement.

We continue to send much love and light to you, Jerry, and the rest of your family during this difficult time.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

What a wonderful way to remember Sir Moose...not foolish at all...least of all, to all of us who came to know him through you & Jerry

I know he will always live in your hearts....

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggys Mom View Post
    on days like this when it was to nasty for a walk, we would take him for a ride.
    This thread was the first thing I read when I woke up and tears came flowing feeling your loss.

I am so glad you took Sir Moose on that one last ride. I know it was good for your soul. I think the lady was glad you did too because I think it was good for her to be able to say goodbye.

Road Dawg

I went through this not long ago either. I did the same thing. I keep saying I'll scatter his ashes on our favorite hiking trail but I can't bring myself to do it. I lost my mom about 2 months ago and I have their ashes side by side. She loved him and always looked forward to him coming to visit. It makes me feel good to have them next to each other. We all honor our beloved companions and family in our own way. I think what you did is exactly what he would have wanted you to do and somewhere, somehow he knows and loves you for it.