Thread: Broken Hearted

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Thumbs up Broken Hearted

With broken hearts and many many tears we sent Sir Moose to the Rainbow Bridge at 6:15 last night. It was 2 years ago next month that he was diagnosed with liver disease after dropping from 115 to 95 pounds. Rickey put him on hepatic food and a med, but expected 6 months tops for his survival. Well, Sir Moose would no eat the hepatic food, and somehow he managed to "hide" the pill and spit it out later. Even Rickey and his tech could not keep it down him. He continued to lose weight, only eating maybe 1/4 cup of food a day. When he hit 78 pounds, that was to much for me and I researched and started cooking two meals a day for him. Added milk thistle and a TBS of coconut oil to his food every day. He went bafck up to 92 pounds.

He got a morning walk every day with hubby except in bad weather, or when hubby's arthritis was acting up to bad in his knee. My hip and knee (right) are so bad I can only walk short distance so could not take him on 1-1/2 mile walk every day. On those days we put him in the car and took him for long rides of up to 15 miles thru country side where he could see cows, goats, etc. He seemed to understand the days he didnt' get walks, he got rides. They had 5 different routes to walk and Jerry always let Sir Moose pick the way he wanted to go. Often it was on the street behind us so he could visit his friend the horse. Two route he loved were the ones that ook him past this certain house where Judy kept treats for him. She is our age and goes to our small church and she was in love with Sir Moose and always talking about him at church. She watched for him and Jerry to come by so she could go out and hug and pet him and give him his treat.

We had him in about 3 months ago for nail clipping and Rickey said to me "I don't know what y ou are doing, but keep right on doing it. He is doing great." But then things started going downhill about the time Jerry started having pain in his foot and couldnt' walk. Then he was in hospital with a foot infection and surgery on the bottom of his foot. Other problems were discovered at that time and he got out after 6 days, but was having to go back in 3 weeks for more surgery. And he was not allowed to walk anywhere other than around the house and out to the car, etc to go to doctor. So no walks. Then he had the foot surgery that was to keep him in hostile for 4 days, developed an infection just above his ankle and was in for 12 days. AND they found the reason for the intense back pain he had been having since before Halloween--he had fractured his spine. He came home last week with a heavy back brace and instructions not to walk on that foot until after stitches are out--which should be this coming Monday. So no walks for Sir Moose. I did take him around the block on day and barely made it back home.

All this time Sir Moose was eating lessa and less and got so thin he was all bones. But he still wanted to go out and stir up the neighbors dogs at 10 at night after all was quite, wanted to greet everyone who came to the door and get attention from them, etc. He didnt' appear to be in pain, just less and less appetite. But we knew his days were numbered and nothing could be done.

Tuesday morning he went to the front door and looked from door to his leash on the wall next to it--his indication he wanted a walk. He had not been doing that. Jerry could not take him....he still has to sit in recliner with leg propped up on pillow, and using walker if he gets out of chair to prevent putting weight on that foot. I decided to take him. We wetn around the block and he had to sniff on every tree, investigate the pile of brush where someone had trimmed a tree, etc. Again I barely made it home, but he was also dragging. Then he barely touched his supper that night, no more than drank the broth off the chicken/veggie soup I h ad made him. Didn't eat the chicken or veggies at all. We had always saved him a taste of our dessert, be it something he could eat. If not00dipped spoon of ice cream in a bowl and he had it. He LOVED ice cream. Tuesday night he was reluctant to lick the ice creamfrom the bowl. I was pretty sure then the end was near--he never refused ice cream, in fact use to almost crow up out watching for us to finish and let him lick our bowls. Then at bed time he refused his treats (home made since he was diagnosed) for the first time eve. He loved those treats and would get excited when I went ot he fridge late at night. I knew then. It was time

I called Rickey yesterday morning about 11:00 and asked him if he would come here and release Sir Moose as Jerry wanted to be with him until the last. He said sure thing. We wanted the day with him and we had it--lots of ear rubs, brushing, etc. Rickey and tech arrived at 6:00 last night and we said our good byes and had hands on him telling him how much we loved him as he passed. The last think he heard was our voices telling him how much he wa loved. They took him back to the clinic with them and he will be picked up this morning for cremation by the same place in Corpus that did our golden girl Sophie 2 years ago. For any that do not know, Moose had been adopted 8 years ago by a couple who already had the golden retriever, Sophie. Four years ago they were to move back to Minn and operate B&B and didn't think that was a place for Moose. They had to return him to the rescue as agreed on, but were allowed to keep him as foster until they left or he was adopted. We lost our Shaggy and adopted him a week later. This was Sept. 30, 2014. Then a little later the couple asked if we could take their 11 year old godlen retireve. Didn't think she oulc handle the harsh MN winters with her bad arthritis. We did and had her 20 months. We kept her askes with the intention of burying them and Sir Moose's ashes together. They ahd been together for 4 years with Jill & **** and almost 2 years with us. So their ashes will be4 buried together...under the cedar tree where they both loved to nap in the summer. Rickey said last night he never thought Sir Moose would have made it past 6 months much less almost 2 years. We honestly believe the love he had for us, and our love for him was what did it. Some of our favorite pictures of him--him and Sophie watching for their treats. with Jerry in our rare snowfall last Dec., under the cedar tree, on the bved with granddaughter,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3169.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	9916
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2800.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	9911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spt.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	9913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3237.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	9912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4119.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	9915  
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

More pictures of Sir Moose
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3410_zps7ygb1xka.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	9927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2902.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	9926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3246.jpg 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	9923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2653.jpg 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	9924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2675.jpg 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	9925
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

I am really sorry to hear about Sir Moose's death. To lose a dog is one of the worst things in life...
    I have no doubt he has had a wonderful life - I have always enjoyed the stories of Sir Moose that you posted on this forum.

If you like to read you might like this book a lot. It has helped a lot of people to cope with the death of pets.

https://www.amazon.com/Loss-Pet-Copi.../dp/1630260797

Sending you many hugs and good energy...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I am so sorry to read this post....Sir Moose was one special guy...who found a very special home with you

I loved reading about his antics...and you can tell from those photos he was loved & cared for...and he loved & cared for the both of you

You have some wonderful memories...may they one day fill the emptiness you feel today

Thinking of you both

Young Dawg (Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

I'm so sorry. I know how much this hurts. I love him just from your photos and descriptions. He was such a beautiful dog with a sweet, kind look in his eyes. It sounds like you gave him an amazing life full of love. He must have really known and returned that to have stayed so long. I hope the pain subsides soon and you're able to start keeping all the wonderful memories close to your heart.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

my heart just hurts reading you post. they leave such a big hole in your heart and home. my thoughts and prayers are with you and jerry.

patrick

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I don’t have adequate words to express how sad I am to hear of Sir Moose’s departure. My heart won’t let me imagine the sense of pain and loss you and Jerry must be feeling right now.

Sebastian, Chester, and I are sending much love and light to you, Jerry, and the rest of your friends, family, and neighbors who mourn your loss alongside you.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

I am so sorry for your loss. You and Jerry gave Sir Moose a wonderful home full of love. He could not have asked for a better family.

Sir Moose also has quite a cyber family here with many who loved him. We too are mourning his loss with you.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

I am so deeply grieved to learn that Sir Moose's time has come and you and Jerry had to let him go... He was such a special boy and you were mutually blessed to have each other. Sending prayers and hugs to you and Jerry. I know Sir Moose is watching over you both...

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Zech's Mom's Avatar

Zech's Mom`s Photos

I feel so hard for you both with Sir Moose's passing, He was A special boy and He loved you as much as you loved him.
    I loved his happy proud smile the first time I saw his picture here. and always felt he had well earned his title of "sir".
    Zech and I send so much love and wishes for peace and love and happiness to fill the emptiness as time goes.
    As Sebastian's mom so well said "My heart won’t let me imagine the sense of pain and loss you and Jerry Feel right now.."
    But my heart and soul send my strength and love to stand with you in your loss...
    He is missed here online too....