Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Shelby's Mom`s Photos

Default Wondering About Weight

Hello all!
    Shelby went to the vet today for her monthly weight check, heart worm pill and flea pill. I'm wondering if I should be concerned that she is 6 months and only weighs 42.4 pounds. At the same time I got Shelby, my husband got a german shepherd, 2 days younger than Shelby, and he weighed in today at 64.8. Of course I know that these are two TOTALLY different breeds, I'm just wondering. When I got her at 8 weeks, she was about 10 pounds.
    She has three siblings that were born smaller than her. Her mom was about 90-95 pounds and her dad was 110-115 pounds.

Thanks for your help.
    Life is a highway with a big exit at the end.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Shelby's Mom....she sounds like she is a happy & healthy girl...keep her lean, it will be better for her as she matures

did your vet have any concerns?

Puppy (New Member)

Shelby's Mom`s Photos

Nicks Spirit,
    No they have not. I've always had "mutts", so she, along with shepherd are the only pure breeds we've ever had. I have looked online to find out about weight gain and growth as they mature, but I haven't really been able to find a good answer.
    I think I was just needing reassurance more than anything.

Thanks.

Falkor's mama`s Photos

Hello there! One thing to keep in mind is that this breed matures slower than others. They don't fully mature (height wise) until about 2 years old, and they might not completely "fill out" until 3-4 years. My pyr is 4 and he is 80 lbs. As long as the vet isn't concerned, don't worry. It is good to keep them on the leaner side so that they don't develop joint/bone problems.

Jewel`s Photos

That number on the scale is not the determinative factor. The puppy's body condition is what you should pay attention to. If she's been growing at a steady pace, in good body condition, not fat not too thin, and she's active and alert, then you likely have nothing to worry about. Pyrs vary greatly in size so it's really not terribly useful to be comparing to anyone else's pup. If you feed Shelby good qualify food at the amount appropriate for her energy level she'll reach the size her genes programmed her to be. One of my favorite sayings about size that I learned from another member here is this: "if her legs reach the ground, she's tall enough."

Puppy (New Member)

Shelby's Mom`s Photos

Thank you all!