Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Quote Originally Posted by nick's spirit View Post
    Mark...don't forget everything you are doing with him is so new & foreign to him.....especially being by himself....can you find a large crate/kennel to put in your bedroom for him? that way he will be close to you & safe at the same time...

a leash is probably a very new sensation for him...everything will take time as he gets used to sights, sounds & scents

what a nice introduction to your Dad....very calm

he may turn out to be a very special Mooie!!!
    Thanks I was hoping you'd chime in. I have the luxury of talking to a lady in a city not too far that adopted another pup from the safe farm. She says this is normal and he'll adjust. I really like the crate in the beadroom idea. But he'll have a dog door attached to his new spot tomorrow so he'll have the best of both worlds. But maybe for a while this is what will work.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    I put him in the pantry area I have sectioned off and he didn't want to go in.
    I would encourage you to practice leaving him on his own. You will have to go back to work and if you don't start working with him now, it'll be more traumatic for him.

He gets nervous about traffic but cars don't come by too often and I just sort of ignore his fear.
    That should pass if you continue to expose him to it. Ren was wary of cars when he was a baby too. He was TERRIFIED of trash trucks. One time he got so panicked I had to carry him home... he was above 3 months old but carrying 35 lbs got a bit heavy after a couple of blocks.

Later today I went to take him out and he didn't want to go outside the front entrance. After praise didn't work I took him out back when we got in the drive way he looked around got scared and wanted to hide.
    It isn't unusual for pups of his age to not want to walk outside. To him, he's venturing into the territory of adult animals. You can't smell what he can. His survival instincts are kicking in to try and avoid exposure to danger. That too should pass with time. It's normal.

What you've described sound like he's acting within the range of normal reactions for a pup his age, so sounds like tings are so far so good

Road Dawg

Thanks everyone this forum has been a life saver. He cried pretty much all night. I waited until he stopped crying around 4:30 am and took in him into the living room. Then I did something I'm not sure I should. I brought him into the bedroom and we both slept(him on the floor next to me) until 9am. I'm thinking of putting a crate in there so he can sleep with me at night.

Today I'm going to take your advice and leave him alone for short stints in the laundry room and see how he does. I have a camera and can check on him. His dog door arrives today and that should be helpful.

Today he's been in full puppy mode for the first time for most of the morning. He's jumping around with his rope toy and galloping when we go outside. He looks really happy. When he's relaxed like this he's a big, awkward goofball and I love it. As I write this he's sacked out in front of the TV watching a 35 video of a washing machine in action before I actually use the real thing.

I think I'm starting to see some signs of confidence. When he went outside he barreled down the 3 steps and tripped on himself and got right back up and galloped over to me like nothing happened. That was good to see.

Speaking of confidence, thank you all for helping me with mine. I really want to do a good job in making him the best he can be. I get a little worried that I'll screw things up but you guys have all been so helpful it's given my the courage to stay positive.

Here's a short video of him romping in the backhttps://youtu.be/ryDb9MtRyNU

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Then I did something I'm not sure I should. I brought him into the bedroom and we both slept(him on the floor next to me) until 9am. I'm thinking of putting a crate in there so he can sleep with me at night.

Here's a short video of him romping in the backhttps://youtu.be/ryDb9MtRyNU
    Pippa slept in a crate next to my bed for two months more or less. She never really liked her crate, but it helped me with potty training (she never had an accident in her crate). Two months or so after I brought her home (5 months of age), I started to let her sleep in my bedroom by my bed with the door closed. I would put toys in her crate, but she never seemed to want to go inside. After 3 months more or less (6 months of age) I started to let the bedroom door open at night so she could roam around the house and go outside to potty through the door dog. Then she found her voice and she loved going outside in the middle of the night and bark at god knows what... lol.. so eventually I had to lock the dog door (the houses are pretty close to each other in my neighborhood).

One thing that you need to remember is that once you let your dog sleep in your bed... there is not going back to sleeping on the floor lol

Road Dawg

Thanks Mike. I had some friends drop by last night and they dropped off a crate. I put his bed and couple of toys and he went in. He wined a bit but watched me crawl under the sheets and turn out the light. After about 10 minutes he basically slept soundly all night. It was great. This guy has some big tank though. I let him out this morning and he didn't pee so back in the crate and we slept another hour. Finally he went outside and I gave him lots of praise and immediately brought him inside as a reward. He loves LOVES being inside the house so I waited a good 45 minutes until he went to the bathroom before we went back in. He kept wanting to go inside and I just kept standing.So I hope he starts to figure it out. Today I start leaving him alone in his area. I may put the dog door in later as well.