Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Any other 2 male Pyr households?

With the addition of our foster we now have two males who are both just shy of 2 years old. When we were first approached to foster, we had concerns about having two young males, but he needed help and we wanted to give it a shot. They actually do really well together. We separate them at our/their dinner times because we know food would cause an issue, they love to go on walks together and lay around the house but..........

...Play time is a little nerve racking.

When we let them out in the back yard together for the first time, it was great for about 10 minutes, they were just enjoying the outdoors until Zeke (our orginal Pyr) got fired up, did his play bow and then it was on, not fighting but more like two 90 lbs teenagers wrestling for first place, it turned into something you would see in national geographic up in Alaska with two grizzly bears. I stopped it due to not wanting to wreck the back yard or one of them getting hurt.

This has continued outside/inside the house when one or the other thinks it's play time. It starts with one initiating it (Usually Zeke), starts with mouthing, then they each try to bite each others ankles/heads/throats, nothing vicious, then they move into chasing and clashing together, which we usually break it up before it gets to that because that's when furniture starts getting knocked over and I wonder about one of them getting hurt.

I assume this is normal young male activity, each one trying to show dominance over the other and neither one ready to take on the submissive role. I want to let them play, but I also don't want any teeth broken/concussions/paw~leg injuries. Am I just being an over protective parent or is that just the way you have to treat males their age - with highly supervised play time?

Here's a good pic of them togther - Murphy and Zeke

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31543.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	9883

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

It is normal for Pyrs to play rough. Itís how they prepare to fight off wolves, bears and monsters.

I donít have two male Pyrs, but I have a male Pyr mix, and a male non-Pyr (Lab mixed with just about everything but LGD). Chester, my non-Pyr is just about exactly half Sebastianís size, and can totally hold his own against his big brother in the rough-and-tumble ring. I know how brutal Sebastianís rough play can be because before Chester came to live with us, I was Sebastianís main play target. I do not miss those days.

I do supervise them when they play, and if it starts to look like one of them isnít really into it, I will have them come in for a treat to settle down.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

Mine play like this all the time and it isn't something specific to two young males... I'd say it's normal LGD breed play behavior but they CAN accidentally get hurt with this rough play and it is a really good thing to be able to call them off and have them settle for a minute when it gets extra wild. For instance, when my two younger girls start racing around the yard, younger one trying to catch the older one, I will call it off after a few rounds. I know the older one doesn't really want the younger one to catch her and after trying unsuccessfully to catch her sister, the younger one is worked up and has some frustration mixed in. It's a set up for nastiness with my girls and I want to avoid having any excuse for them to be anything but on good terms. I call mine off with the word "cookies" or by opening the back door and calling one into the kitchen. Both of these are very high-value things in their book so they will happily comply. Can't imagine having this type of play going on inside the house! Some photos below to illustrate what my group considers "normal" play! I break up my Kangals significantly earlier in play than if one of them is playing with Lily, my GP. Lily is very non-confrontational and doesn't get into anything unless aggressively provoked and then, only to defend herself. How far it goes with your boys will partly depend on their temperament but I'd heavily reinforce a call-off word so you can settle them down as needed. With them doing so well together it would be sad for them to get into a disagreement simply due to over excitement and this is more likely to occur given their age, and possibly them being of the same gender...

Name:	057.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	9890

Name:	308.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	9889

Name:	115 (2).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	9891

Name:	072 (2).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	9892

Name:	128.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	9893

Thanks for the replies. Those pics definately look like Murph and Zeke when they're going at it. I think the main thing is this is the first time we've ever had 2 big dogs that play like this, so at first glance it looks a lot more vicious than it really is. We've learned to watch, let them have their fun and try and pay attention and tell if one is not really in it that much anymore and the other won't let up, or if they just start taking it to another level, then we'll move in and distract.