Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Adventures in Cone-wearing

Max got neutered last week. He hates the cone, but we tried underwear and an inflatable cone and he is determined to lick his stitches, so he gets the big cone. Huge cone, of course, and he runs into EVERYTHING! Doorways, tables, chairs, cabinets, people. He makes no attempt to avoid hazards, just pushes through, thump bumping everywhere he goes.

Now, for a few weeks now, Max has earned the right to free reign of the house while we are out, as he never gets into things he shouldn't, isn't destructive at all. His crate stresses him out so that he drools a river in it, but left out he just naps. So when we went to see a movie yesterday evening, I gave him his pain meds and we headed out, leaving him wagging his tail at the front door.

Well, at some point he walked into the upstairs bathroom, and when he tried to leave, his big cone head closed and latched the door. So he was locked into a small, unfamiliar space in the pitch dark! High on pain medicine. And wearing the hated cone. Poor baby knocked the back lid off the toilet, shredded 4 bath towels, drooled an ocean, chewed his cone off and scraped the paint off the baseboards. I am truly amazed that he did less than $50 in damage, considering how terrifying the experience had to have been for him. It took quite a bit of soothing and ear scritches to see him get calm again. I am so glad he didn't hurt himself, he got lots of loving and reassurance while we cleaned up his catastrophe and rebuilt his cone with duct tape.

So now our fierce protector has 3 known fears: brass instruments (confirmed during the Macy's parade on TV), windshield wipers and our upstairs bathroom, which will just kidnap an innocent puppy for no reason.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Clifford`s Photos

Poor Max, it sounds like he and Stella might be a matching pair now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	933AD72A-CBAD-4845-B766-D3D0FDB82C26.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	9882

She tricked us into letting her outside in the snow... then she ran around in circles like crazy. I used her love of harassing Clifford to lure her inside, finally. Sent him to the door and then asked them both to come in. Poor Clifford.

Then she hit her cone on someone and broke it again (the unrepaired section in the picture).

I get the feeling I'm going to end up with a disapproving look from the vet.

Road Dawg

Does Stella consider "around" an option? Max only believes in "through." When he doesn't fit, he just shoves harder. It's hard on that plastic cone! Our vet has several pyr patients, I am guessing she's seen mended cones before .

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Clifford`s Photos

Definitely "through"! She was only starting to learn "around" when she broke it the first time. Now, she lifts her head up as she does sharp turns, and I think she's learned that she can't look down at her feet while going up the stairs. But she vastly prefers to shove her way through everything else.

For example, on Saturday, it was nice outside, the high was something like 60F, so we opened the sliding door just a little bit to let some air in. Clifford couldn't really have fit through the door even without a cone. It was like a 6" opening. But Stella comes barreling at the door and forces herself through. She likes to skip the two steps from the backyard to the house. She prefers to go flying through the door, do a sharp U-turn, and run back through.

I swear that we're trying to keep her calm. She just really doesn't want to be kept calm.