Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Clifford`s Photos

Default New family member, Stella!

I haven't posted in a while, in large part due to the fact that my Clifford has grown up to be downright dreamy. He's sort of perfect.

But on Tuesday, we brought home a new Pyr (mix?), and we named her Stella. We got her from a nearby shelter in an urban area, where she was found wandering. She is 61 lbs, an estimated 3 years old (though behavior-wise, she acts like a puppy), and has badger markings. She's about Clifford's height, almost 28 inches at the shoulder. Unlike Clifford, she does have her double dews.

She won't really eat kibble plain (she'll pick up a few pieces at a time and end up dropping most of them when she tries to chew them, and then has little to no interest in picking them up again-- and Clifford has absolutely no problem helping her clean those up...), so she's been started on the same diet Clifford's eating now (homemade, because he's spoiled, including all of the appropriate vet-recommended supplements), mixed with some kibble while we try to get her weight up.

As for behavior... I'll admit, I had one of those days of "what have we done" yesterday. Crying and everything.

She is not housetrained. Actually, she seems to prefer going inside to going outside. She loves the outdoors, but it seems that she'll wait until we get back to pee in the house?

We'll take her for a 3 mile walk only to get home and have her pee on the rug a few minutes later. She does tons of sniffing... but that's about it. She's curious about everything, and wants to sniff it all, but she does not want to pee outdoors. We're working on it.

She is also not crate trained. Getting her in her crate is a fight (one that makes me grateful she's still 60 lbs...), but has to be done every time we leave the house, and after she loosened her stitches, now has to be done most of the time while we are in the house too.

She was spayed on Monday, and yes, loosened her stitches and started bleeding yesterday. We took her to the local emergency vet, where they gave us an e-collar and told us that she had a fever, but could wait until the appointment we'd made with our regular vet later that afternoon.

Our regular vet gave her two prescriptions-- one for trazedone, and another for an antibiotic, and gave her some skin staples to help keep the incision closed. And also told us that she only had a fever of 102.7, which could have been caused by her anxiety (made especially evident by the way she was trying to hide under the seat in the exam room).

She wouldn't eat treats at the vet's, either.

Even with the trazedone, she wants to constantly pace and follow us around the house. I came up from the basement this morning and she was so happy to see me she started jumping around like she weighs less than air again.

She has been caught digging in the backyard. She's scared of bikes, cars, etc. We're slowly working on teaching her that these things are okay. (Though Clifford's recently acquired habit of barking at the garbage truck isn't helping-- he learned it from a lost Pyr we took in a few months ago, for the night, after someone in the neighborhood found him wandering and people thought he was Clifford, and directed them towards our house. We found his human the next day.)

Anyway, she's a work in progress who will likely be causing us frustration for months, if not years, to come.

And, I know I cannot get away with posting about a new doggo without pictures, so here goes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1E4345E-451C-4FA6-A129-3C6E488E452C.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	9875 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0614C00F-C2B2-473F-9B82-30796988F0B6.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	9876 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE3C63AE-DB3C-4E58-87BD-BE4F99C63E10.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	9877

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Thank you for opening up your hearts & home to this very confused girl....I'm sure she will figure out the rules of the house & polite manners soon....thank you for your understanding & patience

She is a beautiful girl...with a lovely name!

The only thing I can think of that you can do for her housetraining is treat her like a puppy.....take her out every time she wakes up, eats, drinks....or plays....same spot....and potty dance praise when she does her thing...maybe even a high value treat when she goes outside. She'll get it...her big brother will help teach her!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

She is just beautiful and she is so blessed to have you open up your heart and home to her. Sounds like you have a puppy in an adult body and pretty similar to when I got my first LGD. She weighed well over 90lbs and acted like an 8 week old puppy, had never been in the house, etc. Don't let the big girl size cloud your expectations. She is both new, neglected and immature. I have no doubt that Clifford will teach her the ropes with time and she will teach you a lot more patience than you ever thought you'd need. Love seeing her happy face!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

What a beautiful dog! I love her name

I would set up an alarm and let her out every 2-3 hours at night, then 4 hours, then 6 hours.... It's a nightmare, I know, but it worked really well for my and my dog. Praise her every time she goes potty outside. Take her to the same spot over and over again. Praise, treat, repeat. Praise, treat, repeat.

For a couple of weeks, Pippa, my dog, would pee in the house right after our long walks. Eventually, she learned she had to hold it in. I believe everything changed when I caught her in the act of peeing and I was able to take her outside through the patio door while she was still peeing. I believe that was the day everything started to get better. Next time you go for a walk, after you're back in the house watch her closely. When she is getting ready to pee on the rug, be ready to take her outside. Follow her everywhere and be ready to pick her up as soon as she starts peeing. Take her to a designated pee and poop area. Praise her and give her a treat. Good luck! I'm sure things will get better. It's clear that Stella is still adapting to her new home and family.

Has the vet shown any concern about her weight? She looks a little bit underweight to me, but I guess that can be easily explained by her past. She is very beautiful though! Have you tried making Stella some home made rice with chicken and bread? Even pyrs can't resist to home made meals! haha

Jewel`s Photos

Congrats on a new family member!! Stella sounds like she's a bit high strung. If she's nervous and has not developed confidence, it would explain why she would not potty on walks - because she's not confident enough to mark in other dogs' territory. I agree with others, treat her like a pup and praise & treat lavishly when she potties where you want her to.

To me she appears to be younger than 3. It's not just that she's skinny, looks like her chest hasn't dropped and shoulders are narrow still thus suggesting she's young. Think it's possible she's got some anatolian in her. I think she will do very well with home cooking!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Clifford`s Photos

Stella's continually inventing new ways to get into trouble, even as she learns to navigate with her cone.

She constantly wants to play with Clifford, and he's not having it today. He's taken to growling at her when she walks by him in his crate. She's been trying to hump him, too, and I'm not quite sure how to take that. Dominance? Insecurity?

She has gone to the bathroom in the backyard where he likes to go a few times. But she doesn't go very often or for very long. At first, we thought her issue in the house was submissive urination. Now, I'm not sure what to think.

She likes to jump, too. And when we close her in her crate, she frantically digs at her bed for a good 5-10 minutes.

There are muddy pawprints on the floor and clumps of hair laying around. Sometimes I wonder if she has some black nails that I hadn't noticed before, or if there's that much mud on her paws.

I'm exhausted and trying to watch her constantly when she's not in her crate. Getting her in there is such a fight that the amount of time she spends in there is decreasing.

On a lighter note, we made a new batch of homemade food yesterday. Beef, brown rice, peas, carrots, pumpkin, and banana this time. Stella's gets mixed with a cup of regular kibble while we're trying to get her weight up. Both dogs try to leave their peas behind.

She's a goofy sweetheart, and we love her, but I'm worried about the incision from her spay, and having a near-impossible time keeping her quiet even with the 200 mg of trazedone every 12 hours.

We also think we're going to need to invest in some cups that don't tip over.

At least they don't have any issues sharing toys. Clifford has a BarkBox subscription, and other than having to bathe his two newest toys in the last few days, there haven't been any issues.