Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Road Dawg

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22

    Default Question about the dis-a-pyr

    Some of you have helped me on my previous post. We adopted a pyr mixed with 2 other livestock breeds. Previous owner told me he would only sometimes run off into the woods and then come back. Her husband told me he would always disappear if off leash and she told him to go back inside 😀.
    After owning him for awhile, we got our first snow. He was really trying to play in it so my husband let him off leash. Once he realized he was off leash he took off with him standing right beside him.

    Is there any hope of ever training him to stay in the yard or will he always just want to take off? How our home is situated it's not possible to have a fence - we live on 6 acres.

    Without a fence, do you just have to always take them outside to potty on a leash? That's not a problem, just kind of wanting to know what others have experienced.

    Once he slipped his collar and did eventually come back but if he sees you following him, he will not come to you. With his past history of running off so much, do you think with lots of training we can train him or it's just breed disposition? The previous owner didn't seem to mind him running off into the woods for hours, but where we live is surrounded by farm lands and some pretty fast drivers. It's like once off leash he just wants to run and run and run till he's literally out of there!!
    We put him on long leashes to run, but just wondering what other owners do if their dog literally just takes off and if having a fence isn't an option.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Walla Walla Washington
    Posts
    4,492

    Default

    I seriously doubt at this point in his life, that training him in anyway to remain on your property will work...just my thoughts

    My first girl was pretty reliable about staying home, however she had 2 bad knees, so roaming wasn't her "thing"
    My boy Nick, was Mr. Social...he would go walk about if her heard people anywhere around (we lived at the end of the road on a beach in Alaska)...but he did always come back. Not living near an area where people drove fast helped with my anxiety when Nick went walk about

    My current boy, Rudy....no chance he would stay contained....a fence is a must with him, as is a leash

    Is is possible to fence a portion of your property? But it would probably have to be very high & secured on the bottom....

  3. #3
    Road Dawg

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Fort Worth
    Posts
    39

    Default

    We have a boy who can never be off leash. He doesn't mind the leash, he comes acceptably well when fenced or inside and he at least won't run off and will let a person come get him in those situations. But if he's off leash and unhindered, he wants to go roam and his LGD genes tell him all our commands are just suggestions, anyway.

    But I do have a neat trick for slipped leash dogs, an emergency recall command.
    1. Pick a random command word you will never use around your dog normally (lucky, jellyfish, bingo)
    2. Pick the highest value treat you can find (hot dogs, liver, something amazing)
    3. Once a day for about a week, say this word over and over while backing away from your dog holding his collar and then drop a jackpot of this treat.
    4. Once a day for about a week, say the word over and over while backing away and then grab the collar when he comes and give the jackpot.
    5. Once a day for about a week, say the word one time from across a room and then grab collar and give the jackpot
    6. Decrease frequency to once a week, then down to once a month, forever.
    7. If your dog is ever ready to bolt and you need a rock solid return, use your emergency recall word instead of "come"
    8. Any time you use your emergency recall in the wild, praise the dog to high heavens and give them any treat you have available, then do a couple of dry runs with the jackpot to "recharge" the word.

  4. #4
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mom to the Max View Post
    But I do have a neat trick for slipped leash dogs, an emergency recall command.
    1. Pick a random command word you will never use around your dog normally (lucky, jellyfish, bingo)
    2. Pick the highest value treat you can find (hot dogs, liver, something amazing)
    3. Once a day for about a week, say this word over and over while backing away from your dog holding his collar and then drop a jackpot of this treat.
    4. Once a day for about a week, say the word over and over while backing away and then grab the collar when he comes and give the jackpot.
    5. Once a day for about a week, say the word one time from across a room and then grab collar and give the jackpot
    6. Decrease frequency to once a week, then down to once a month, forever.
    7. If your dog is ever ready to bolt and you need a rock solid return, use your emergency recall word instead of "come"
    8. Any time you use your emergency recall in the wild, praise the dog to high heavens and give them any treat you have available, then do a couple of dry runs with the jackpot to "recharge" the word.
    Can you come over and teach that to Sebastian? Iíve been trying for over six years, and if I donít have a super-extra-high-value treat in my hand, (Ice Cream, Trader Joeís Beef Roll, Greenie) it ainít happeniní. Also, if he is anywhere outside of our back yard, it ainít happeniní, no matter what I may be holding. Given Chesterís strong recall and the fact that Sebastian has gotten away from multiple trainers (cue yakety sax for a fun visual), I have a hunch that the problem with Sebastianís recall might lie in the fact that he gets his personality from his Pyr side.

    Our backyard isnít huge - itís maybe somewhere between 500 and 600 square feet. Itís just enough room for Sebastian and Chester to run around and play until they get tired. I agree with Nancy that if you can find a way to fence off a portion of your property to give the dogs a safe place to run - be it a back yard area, or even a dog run, that might be your safest bet. One warning, though, beware of gate latches. I have to keep our back gate locked, because it took Sebastian all of about 2 seconds to figure out how to work a gate latch. If he had opposable thumbs, weíd all be in big trouble.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

  5. #5
    Road Dawg

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mom to the Max View Post
    We have a boy who can never be off leash. He doesn't mind the leash, he comes acceptably well when fenced or inside and he at least won't run off and will let a person come get him in those situations. But if he's off leash and unhindered, he wants to go roam and his LGD genes tell him all our commands are just suggestions, anyway.

    But I do have a neat trick for slipped leash dogs, an emergency recall command.
    1. Pick a random command word you will never use around your dog normally (lucky, jellyfish, bingo)
    2. Pick the highest value treat you can find (hot dogs, liver, something amazing)
    3. Once a day for about a week, say this word over and over while backing away from your dog holding his collar and then drop a jackpot of this treat.
    4. Once a day for about a week, say the word over and over while backing away and then grab the collar when he comes and give the jackpot.
    5. Once a day for about a week, say the word one time from across a room and then grab collar and give the jackpot
    6. Decrease frequency to once a week, then down to once a month, forever.
    7. If your dog is ever ready to bolt and you need a rock solid return, use your emergency recall word instead of "come"
    8. Any time you use your emergency recall in the wild, praise the dog to high heavens and give them any treat you have available, then do a couple of dry runs with the jackpot to "recharge" the word.
    Thanks. I will be definitely trying this!!

  6. #6
    Road Dawg

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Can you come over and teach that to Sebastian? Iíve been trying for over six years, and if I donít have a super-extra-high-value treat in my hand, (Ice Cream, Trader Joeís Beef Roll, Greenie) it ainít happeniní. Also, if he is anywhere outside of our back yard, it ainít happeniní, no matter what I may be holding. Given Chesterís strong recall and the fact that Sebastian has gotten away from multiple trainers (cue yakety sax for a fun visual), I have a hunch that the problem with Sebastianís recall might lie in the fact that he gets his personality from his Pyr side.

    Our backyard isnít huge - itís maybe somewhere between 500 and 600 square feet. Itís just enough room for Sebastian and Chester to run around and play until they get tired. I agree with Nancy that if you can find a way to fence off a portion of your property to give the dogs a safe place to run - be it a back yard area, or even a dog run, that might be your safest bet. One warning, though, beware of gate latches. I have to keep our back gate locked, because it took Sebastian all of about 2 seconds to figure out how to work a gate latch. If he had opposable thumbs, weíd all be in big trouble.
    Cue yakety sax LOL... I told my husband this, this morning when I saw the update email and on his phone he brings up this old news story about 2 llamas that got loose in city and police were in on the chase and they played this music of them. That's about how it went the first time he got loose. Finallly we gave up and he came back...

    In the spring we plan on doing something. My husband is just a little disheartened when it's 20 degrees out and blowing and it's 11pm and he wants to go out to potty haha

  7. #7
    Road Dawg

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Fort Worth
    Posts
    39

    Default

    LOL, Max's emergency recall was not solid...he was just curious enough when I had to use it to come kind of close and let me grab him, but that was good enough. The trainers said the key was that they NEVER get this particular treat when not working on this particular command. We used a small pile of pepperoni. We also try to occasionally give Max treats when he didn't know we had any, to keep him guessing.

    I am also glad for no thumbs. Max is scary smart, he knows just the angles to push with his nose to open the multi-step latch on a dog gate we have. And I swear he's teasing us, we got a couple of toys that are meant to be chewed open to reveal another toy, and he chews the skins off every other toy but those, we have plush toy carcasses everywhere!

  8. #8
    Road Dawg kcphilaflyer's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    39

    Default

    We had our first experience with this last night with our foster We've had him now for almost 2 months and he's settled in nicely. At first he would have a tendancy to dart at doors/gates, so we learned to be careful and make him sit before going thru any doors/gates.

    I wasnt' home but the UPS man came and dropped off a package, my wife went to get it, wasn't paying quite enough attention and had the door open just enough and didn't realize where Murphy was and he took off. Got a couple blocks away before she could finally catch up to him and the scary part is one more block is a very busy street, especially on Friday nights. She was pretty freaked out and just a reminder that you have to always be aware if there's even a slight chance.

  9. #9
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

    Current Great Pyrenees Owner

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcphilaflyer View Post
    We had our first experience with this last night with our foster We've had him now for almost 2 months and he's settled in nicely. At first he would have a tendancy to dart at doors/gates, so we learned to be careful and make him sit before going thru any doors/gates.

    I wasnt' home but the UPS man came and dropped off a package, my wife went to get it, wasn't paying quite enough attention and had the door open just enough and didn't realize where Murphy was and he took off. Got a couple blocks away before she could finally catch up to him and the scary part is one more block is a very busy street, especially on Friday nights. She was pretty freaked out and just a reminder that you have to always be aware if there's even a slight chance.
    Something similar happened here not long after we moved to out currrent home. I ordered pizza one night, and when the pizza guy arrived, Sebastian pushed me right out of the way and took off, with Chester tagging along right behind. It took me about a half an hour and a long stream of very bad words before I finally found Chester, who lead me right to Sebastian. There were no pizza bones for them that night.

    Now, if I know that someone is coming over, that front door doesnít open unless two dogs are either in the back yard or leashed. If I decide to let them out in the front courtyard, the gate (which currently does not latch) is zip-tied closed, and obscured by an ever-so-classy giant piece of plywood. I use the garage almost exclusively for coming and going, and the door to the house does not open until the garage door is closed.

    Iím so glad that Murphy made it home safely!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •