Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

snow0160`s Photos

Default Am I overweight?

I took Kit to a groomer friend who told me she needs to lose weight. Without actually weighing Kit, they thought she weighed 90-100lbs. She goes by how the rib cage feels and unfortunately, she couldn't feel it as well as she could. She said Kit needed to lose 5-10lbs perhaps. Then we weighed her. She only weighs 77lbs and she looks gigantic. I think some of it is that she has exceptionally dense undercoat. She is 27" tall at the withers. Should we put Kit on a diet? Her favorite thing in the world is food...this would bum her out.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I would go with what my vet thinks versus a groomer (no offence Tsuni!)

Rudy is 77 pounds, a bit smaller than Kit....vet thinks he's in fine shape

Jewel`s Photos

LOL, don't tell Kit the groomer called her fat....

A 26-27 inch bitch at 77 lbs does not sound excessive. Bijou was 26.5 inches tall and before she was spayed she was a bony 72 lbs. She went up to 77 after she was spayed and at that weight she was at the top range of what I'd like but still by no means fat - and I am particularly neurotic about weight.

Even with a dense coat, you should still be able to tell if there is a thin or a generous layer of flesh over the ribs. But ultimately you get to decide whether she should be on a diet. I think you would know if she's actually obese. My preference is to keep my dogs thin. But other people keep their dogs a bit more "solid" and happy and many of those dogs live well into their teens.

Here's an example. This is a pic I took on Sunday. Ren looks bigger than that ridgeback in the pic. In reality, while Ren is a tad taller, he's at 85 lbs, and that ridgeback is 120. If that ridgeback were mine, he'd likely be 95-100 lbs. But the ridgeback is 8-9 yrs old and still going strong, moving well, and wrestling with much younger dogs at the dog park happily. So carrying a bit extra "solid muscle" is not always a mortal sin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1065.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	9857

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Pippa was also 77 lbs last time I took her to the vet.

snow0160`s Photos

I made sure not to mention anything to Kit! She would not be pleased about body shaming!! Besides, she already told me that she is very proud of her porportions. lol Is it bad that I think she is the best LGD? I am obsessed with Kit! I've never met a dog that makes me laugh this much! Yesturday, I asked her if she is the most beautiful dog ever and she barked as if to say of course! Then I asked if she was graceful. She didn't respond and ran around like a nut!

I acutally did speak to Kit's breeder who is also a wonderful vet tech. She said there is no way 77lb is overweight. She is definitely not fat! If anything I previously thought 77lbs is underweight for 27". Kit does look a lot bigger than she actually weighs. Most people guess she is around 100lbs. I wonder if it is just a lot of hair.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    Is it bad that I think she is the best LGD?
    Nope. That is what is all about. They help us cope with the human world and for that we will always owe them the best we can offer to make them happy.

Quote Originally Posted by snow0160 View Post
    Kit does look a lot bigger than she actually weighs. Most people guess she is around 100lbs. I wonder if it is just a lot of hair.
    Most people are surprised that Ren is less than 90 lbs. They think he's 110. I am perfectly fine with him at 85 lbs. When he turned 18 months old I started working on him jogging with me. He's now a bit over 2 yrs old and we jog 2.5 to 3 miles every morning. It's good for me and I know he enjoys it!

snow0160`s Photos

I took Kit on the longest walk of her life yesterday! It was about 3 miles away from our house. We walked to the edge of our neighborhood for a Hot Air Balloon show. She was very pleased by the swam of children petting her. She was a show stopper and most people were there to see hot air ballons rather than a giant white dog lol. I've noticed she doesn't jump on children but only adults to kiss them on the head. Kit and I both had such a great time.

I've also recently had a small Golden Retriever jump on me. They are more solid than they look and not that different from Kit. This tiny Golden had very heavy paws. It is deceptively small. When I asked how much it weighed, the owner responded 59lbs. Lucky, our doodle weighs exactly 59lbs and it feels very different. Dog weight is very deceptive haha. I'm happy with her weight at 77lbs.