Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Sebastian had another colic-like episode

Last night, Sebastian had another episode. This is his fourth in 18 months.

Around 10 pm, the boys went out for their final potty break of the evening, and Sebastian pooped. We went upstairs, Sebastian got on his bed, and appeared to be settled in for the night.

Around 11:15, Sebastian literally jumped out of his bed (I swear that is not an exaggeration), and began with the licking of lips and the frantic Pica. There were remnants of a stuffed toy Chester had destroyed on the floor, so I picked those up, and then went downstairs to get Sebastian the medicine his vet had recommended. It took anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours for the medicine to take effect.

I took some video to show his vet. This is what his attacks look like:

https://youtu.be/Mr2kl993Yv0

I emailed his vet this morning, and she has already responded (I am so thankful to have a vet I trust).

His last attack was July 22-23. I was trying to wait until his regular vet's office opened the morning of the 23 to take him in, because I wanted someone from their office to see it. Chester got him to play that morning, causing him to poop, which resolved the attack. I called their office anyways, and made an appointment with his vet. At that appointment, all of his labs came back normal.

This is the first attack that he has had that started soon after a bowel movement, which is a little concerning.

There have been no changes to his diet or treat routine lately.

I hope we can get this figured out, so we can learn how to prevent it.

If you see your dog suddenly behave like Sebastian does in the video, seek medical attention ASAP.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

SM....the fact that he jumped off his bed (and I know what you mean!) would alert me....however, the Pica wouldn't even enter my mind as something to be dealt with...thank you!!

what does your vet think about all of this?
    I have never encountered anything like this, or maybe I did & didn't think anything about it....this is very educating, but I'm sure very disturbing for you.

Please keep us up to date on what your vet says....and tummy rubs to Sebastian & hugs & a huge glass of wine for you!

Nancy, thank you! I probably am going to pour myself a glass of wine tonight!

The vet was glad that the medicine worked, but wants me to let her know if it stops working, or if his attacks become more frequent. She had not yet watched the video when she responded, but said that she was going to.

When he is having an attack, the Pica is almost continuous. He will take brief breaks to let me know, in no uncertain terms, that he wants to go outside. Then, if I take him, he eats dead leaves and promptly comes back inside to throw them up. I did not take him outside last night, because I didn't want him throwing up his medicine.

I also should have pointed out his hunched posture, and frequent air/lip licking. At times, he even makes a snorting noise, that definitely was not captured on the video.

When he is doing this, he goes from spot to spot over and over again. Because we were closed in my bedroom, it was almost as if he were pacing. I have a second video from last night that is almost identical to the one I posted, in terms of where he started in the room, and where he was when I stopped recording.

These attacks really seem to take a lot out of him. He is always pretty tired the next day - not necessarily lethargic, just more tired than usual.

I hope we are all able to sleep better tonight!

Here is the second video, where you can see his posture and the air/lip licking a little better.

https://youtu.be/Ano8fK-BUUI

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

SM, I am so sorry you are going through this and Sebastian is not feeling well! You are in our prayers. It must be scary to watch like this and not know what is happening or how to really help him. Tyro says he knows how Sebastian feels! Please keep us posted about how he is doing.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I am sorry to hear that Sebastian had another episode.

I would have never considered the pica. I am glad your vet did though and that there is a medicine that is helping him.

Road Dawg

Have they checked for a stomach ulcer? One of my Rottweilers acted like that at night with Pica vomiting and gagging. It turned out to be an ulcer

Jewel`s Photos

Oy, I am so sorry Sebastian had another episode...

Thank you so much, everyone!

The "good" thing about these attacks (as if there is ever anything good about something that causes these guys that much distress), is that they tend to resolve as suddenly as they start. He was so much better this morning that I actually went to work today. Naturally, I was worried sick about him, and kept checking the camera. By the time I got home from work, he was pretty much back to normal.

The first two times this happened, I was concerned that he was bloating, so we went to the Emergency Vet both times. Both times, they took X-rays that showed a buildup of gas in his small intestine that seemed to indicate that his small intestine had temporarily stopped contracting. Both times, he was given an antiemetic to get his small intestine contracting again, and once he had pooped after that, he was able to pass the trapped gas fairly quickly. The first time, he was able to poop at the vet's office, and he managed to hotbox me in the car the entire way home. That was fun.

We haven't done an endoscopy yet, to check for ulcers or other visual signs of gastrointestinal irregularity. It is definitely something I will talk to his vet about if these attacks continue.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Rena450's Avatar

Rena450`s Photos

I'm glad he is doing better .... how concerning. I never knew about the pica behavior. I would have been worried about bloating also. Sebastian has a good 'mom'