Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Diagnosis: Spoiled Dog

A few weeks ago, our aussie girl went into septic shock when she seemed fine the day before. The vet discovered pneumonia and kept her round the clock for several days hoping to save her, but she didn't make it. She was only 6. The only symptom we saw was low appetite, she was otherwise chipper and happy and seemed fine.

So a few days ago, Max skipped a meal. Then he skipped several meals. And even though he seemed otherwise healthy, we took him to the vet. Who examined him and decided that before the xrays and bloodwork, the first test should be an opened can of wet dog food. Max enjoyed that test immensely, and ate every morsel. He was diagnosed as a picky eater. Brought him home and the little dork waltzed straight over to his dish and ate all the dry food in there, too. And ate dinner fine, then declined breakfast!

He has eaten every meal we ever gave him the minute he got it, not gulping it down, just methodically cleaning his plate, for every day we've had him until the past few days!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) mikelg84's Avatar

Mom to the Max, I am very sorry to hear about your aussie girl.
    I would say that the majority of GP are peaky eaters. Mine prefers wet food as well and it's being harder and harder to make her eat her regular food.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Mom to the Max....I am so sorry to read about your girl.....what a shock....

I can understand why you took Max in right away...but agree with Mikel....all out Pyr's have been picky eaters....Rudy is especially bad when the weather is too warm for him....so right now as the temperatures are dropping, he is eating more regularly....but still will look at me as if to say "is this what I have to eat today, don't you have something else that might taste better"?!!!

and I'm glad you have Max to give you the attention & devotion of a furry companion at this sad time

Jewel`s Photos

So sorry for your loss. 6 is way too young... such terrible loss.

Your vet pretty sharp with his diagnosis of Max

If Max gets into the habit of skipping breakfast, that is actually pretty common with pyrs. A lot of them are not enthusiastic with breakfast. Ren is one of them, so was my first pyr. I switch kibble brands a lot and Ren will be excited about a new bag for a few days then it wears off. I'm now buying only the 10 lb size bags so that he's not eating the same kibbles for more than a month. I also top his breakfast with freeze dried raw and he'd just eat the freeze dried stuff. Canned food doesn't always do the trick either and sometimes he'd get downright irritated that I mixed in canned. I've been known to throw away the entire bowl and start over. If I really want him to finish his breakfast I have to mix in home cooked. But in the evenings he's usually quite happy to eat even plain kibbles.