Thread: Stomach Tied

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Stomach Tied

I spoke to our vet about spaying our pyr and he suggested to have her stomach Tied at the same time to reduce the change of bloat bloat. Is this necessary? I'm a 1st time owner of this breed.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

The procedure your vet is recommending is called a gastropexy. During the spay, they tack the stomach to adjacent tissue to prevent the stomach from rotating if she ever does develop the first stage of bloat, where the stomach fills up with air. The stomach rotation is what makes bloat such a dangerous condition.

While the procedure isnít absolutely necessary, I think that your vet is giving you good advice. The idea is to go ahead and perform the procedure while the dog is still young and having general anesthesia anyways. As dogs age, they become more susceptible to the risk of injury or death from general anesthesia. Sebastian has had several episodes where his small intestine stops contracting and fills up with gas. During our first trip to the Emergency Vet for this, the vet on duty recommended the procedure. After getting a second and third opinion, I opted not to have the procedure done, as the risks of general anesthesia outweighed the benefits of the procedure. I now keep medication on hand to treat these episodes at the first sign of symptoms.

Ultimately, you are the one in the position to decide whether or not a gastropexy is right for your girl. There is never any harm in getting a second opinion from another vet in town, or your breeder (or someone else familiar with the health issues of extra large and giant breeds).

Welcome to the forum!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

I had gastropexy done on my goldendoodle because of the narrow deep chest. When it came time for Kit, my Maremma, she had an emergency pyometra spay. I would totally get a gastropexy done on her if it was a normal spay. I do believe that gastropexy is not as vital for Great Pyrenees becasue they are wider chested. Great Danes, Standard Poodles, Grey Hounds are some of the breeds I'd do a gastropexy without hesitation. I would caution not to do a gastropexy too early. I met a woman at the dog park that did it to her Great Dane puppy before it finished growing and the pup expereinced complications.