Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Crate size, sleeping at night and growth

Hello I have a 14wk(?) old female pyr Who weighs about 25 pounds. Currently she use a 48 inch crate for downtime and sleeping at night. Iím wondering if this is a realistic situation for the future considering that sheís going to be huge. So Iím curious if any of you allow your pyr to sleep outside of her crate in one of the rooms of your house for example I have a stone hearth in my kitchen that she usually lays on when she socializing with the family. From day one she designated that as her spot. Iím wondering if I could let her sleep there at night when she gets a little bit older so sheís not cramped up in her crate. Wondering what yíallĎs experience is with Situations like this. At what age would you let your pyr sleep outside of crate ?

Young Dawg (Member)

I'm new to this site and have a pyr mixed with 2 other livestock guardian breeds. He is in a 48 inch crate and he is pretty huge. He makes my 76 pound german shepherd/lab mix look small, but he only weighs 78 pounds. By looking at him, (he just turned 1) you would think he was way over 100 pounds by his size. So between the 2 dogs being close in weight, he is by far taller and longer. Anyway, he fits well in his 48 inch crate, but I'm not sure how much bigger he will get. The 54 inch crate, we had thought about getting, was too huge for him. I do know from what I read the 54 inch was recommended, but for us right now, it would have been way too large for what we need. For letting the dog sleep outside of the crate, is she housebroken? We plan on letting our dogs sleep in their crates. We had dogs in the past that slept outside of their crates, but these dogs like sleeping in their crates, our new pyr now wants to be in his crate at night. I think he feels safe as he goes in on his own without being asked. I'm sure others will have more to say since I'm new here! Just wanted to share my experience!

Jewel`s Photos

I start my pups out in crates but that's for potty training, safety purposes, and just plain they need to be crate trained. None of them remain crated forever. My pyr mix boy was out of the crate at 6 months. My female was crated whenever we were out until she was 2 yrs old because she couldn't be trusted not to get into things she shouldn't. My current young adult boy was trustworthy at 10 months. It all depends on the individual dog's personality. Also, like Brayjj says, some dogs love their crates and choose to spend nights in their crates.

Road Dawg

Max is not a huge fan of his crate. He has the ginormous one, and at 7 months it is clear a smaller one wouldn't work for much longer! He sleeps in our room at night uncrated and has never bothered anything. We keep a dog gate up, but clearly that is merely a suggestion rather than an actual deterrent, he could take it down or climb over but he stays in the room. He has spent a couple of nights in one of the kid's rooms, and he doesn't scratch at their closed doors. Eventually, we will let him have free reign of the house, I am sure.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

We have a 48" crate for Kit. We used a crate divider at 14 weeks. She used the crate as a puppy but we no longer use it anymore. She stopped using the crate at aruond 6 months old.

Puppy (New Member)

Our Pyr is now 8 months old and has never slept in a crate. She and our OES sleep together in our sons' room. Never made a mess there even when she was very young (she came home at 9 weeks).

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by CBdeJ View Post
    Our Pyr is now 8 months old and has never slept in a crate. She and our OES sleep together in our sons' room. Never made a mess there even when she was very young (she came home at 9 weeks).
    Did you crate train her? I am a big believer in crate training all of my dogs. It's not just about puppy making messes. Crate training can potentially be life savers somewhere down the line for the dog.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Did you crate train her? I am a big believer in crate training all of my dogs. It's not just about puppy making messes. Crate training can potentially be life savers somewhere down the line for the dog.
    Not at all. I tired but it was enough of a disaster that I gave up. She's not a fan of confined spaces at all. She also hated being in the car on her own and was very vocal (and somewhat messy) about it. Even now she only tolerates being in the back of our Land Cruiser when she's with our OES.

Puppy (New Member)

I really appreciate everybodyís feedback is really neat to hear I really appreciate everybodyís feedback itís really need to hear what everybody is doing Hi everybody handles the situation. Iíve only had a few dogs in my lifetime and itís been a really long time since the last puppy. Iím more of a cat person and cats are completely different from dogs I feel like I am learning to swim for the first time.
    That being said I have two questions that pertain to my original.
    1.Zelda wants to chew on and eat anything thatís on the floor. How does that work with your dogs sleeping outside of her kennel how my going to trust her to not consume my dining room chairs or eat my stairs, is she loves to gnaw on wood.
    2. We take her potty after she comes out of her crate and after she eats. Sheís had some accidents but sheís not vocal about letting us know that she needs to go out so signal that she needs to buy sitting in front of the door or scratching at the door. Iím trying to train her to tap the bells. So how do you handle a thing like that and sleeping outside of the crate? At what age can they hold in all night long And not Pee on the floor?
    Sheís going on for months old and honestly I canít imagine her being able to sleep outside of her crate at 6-9 months

As a side note, from the second I brought her home she claimed the crate. she went straight in there. she has no problem being in there except for when weíre all in the living room and she wants to socialize but for the most part she enjoys her crate and feels at home and there

Old Dawg (Senior Member) snow0160's Avatar

snow0160`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    This is very true. I have an example of this from yesterday. Our pug just tore her nail last night and was bleeding heavily. Crating her was the only way to get her to stop running around. I'm really thankful I crate trained her and she slept comfortably all night. Crating is a great way to restrict their movement when they are injured or after an operation so the stitches don't break.