Thread: Ear Cleaning

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Ear Cleaning

So we had our first experience with a small yeast infection in one of Zeke's ears. Noticed him scratching and shaking his head alot and could see the ear canal was very red and had a funk to it. Took him to the vet and he put some solution in it to clean it out. A week later it seems all cleared up.

Question is, he said we could use apple cider vinegar and water on our own to clean it out, but my wife forgot to ask him how often to do this. So just for routine maintenance, should we do this once a month, every couple months, only if he shows signs of scratching?

Curious so we can take care of any potential issues before they happen again.

Thanks!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I think this depends on the individual dog....so you might want to place a call into your vet & check with them on what they would recommend.

Our Nick had terrible ear problems, not really a yeast problem, just lots of waxy buildup...the vet did a very deep clean one time when he was anesthetized, and it seemed to help...then we had special drops to put into his ears if he ever had a flair up again...which only happened occasionally after the deep clean.

So I'm sorry, but I've never used the apple cider vinegar solution....let us know how it works for him

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Tsunibear's Avatar

Tsunibear`s Photos

I will say call your vet to be safe. For me though I clean ears once a week.

ok thanks! We have to take the other dog in next week so I'll just ask then.