Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default grinch feet and cow hockiness

We've got a 2.5 yo GP/Saint Bernard with the grinch feet I see on many GPs - back feet turned out, tuffs of hair coming out from around, between, over toes and double dews, like she's wearing sloppy house slippers. I've heard turned out hind feet can be normal in GPs, but cow hocked hind legs can be indicative of hip problems. Photos I see online of cow hocked hind legs look more extreme, with not just the heels of the feet pointing towards each other, but also the next joint up. The next joint up on her looks relatively pointed towards the back and not to the center. Is this still considered cow hocked? Or just goofy GP feet?

My paranoia is curious. We've seen two vets, one more concerned about future arthritis and joint issues than the other, though neither feeling like X-rays are worth doing at this point since we would still just observe her anyway. One worked at a GP rescue and has German Shepherds herself, so particularly thoughtful about hips. She asked if our dog jumps up ok; the pup's MO is to stand up like a giant meerkat to greet anyone face to face so that doesn't seem to be an issue at this time.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome!

Sebastian is also a Saint/Pyr mix, and also has the “Grinch Feet” you describe. It hasn’t slowed him down any (he is now 6 1/2). After a very minor knee injury over the Summer, I talked both to his vet, and to the owner of his rescue, and they both recommended that I start him on a daily dose of Cosequin (Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplement). That may be worth asking your vet about.

I will say that the Cosequin can be a bit expensive from the pet store, especially for the first six weeks, when they get a higher dose. I ended up joining Costco, where I get the Cosequin at a very deep discount.

FYI, we love pictures!!!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

The pyr breed standards describe slightly turned out feet but it's nothing like cow hock. It's just slightly toed out feet. If you look at the hind legs from behind while the dog is striding out, the legs are driving straight, the hock joints do not come together into each other.

The GSDs are more likely to get cow hocks because of that severe angulation from knee to hock. Pyrs aren't built that way.